Lighting MARLEY's Platinum P300 test

MARLEY.

If she's amazing, she won't be easy.
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to my test thread.

Let me first start by saying that I was sent a P300 to test, I did not purchase it myself. That being said, let me also say that when I first started growing I began with some LED's I found on Amazon that were highly rated, but I was pretty disappointed with the results. I switched to an MH/HPS setup, and later to a CMH setup, both of which I've had great results and had no desire to try LED's again...at least not at the price range I could actually afford. Going into this I would say I had a slight bias against LED's, though I intended on being as unbiased as possible.

I decided to wait until I was mid-grow before posting this thread so that I would have more experience with them, which would allow me to post more information in this first post, as I assume it will be the most viewed post in the thread.

Now let's get into it.

As I mentioned before, I've had previous experience with LED's. For this test I though it would be useful to do a grow-off between the LED I purchased and the P300. To make it as fair as possible I used my 8x4 tent with the P300 on one end and the Meizhi 450w at the other end, both growing Critical Kush from the same bag I received from Seedsman. There was a large unused space in the middle of the tent which I decided to put a Viperspectra 300w light. Unfortunately I didn't have anymore Critical Kush seeds so I popped in a Nirvana Bubblelicious. I don't plan on using information from that light in this thread too often because of the strain difference, but it's in the test tent so you should know about it.

Size and Build Quality:
  • The Meizhi and Viperspectra feel of similar build quality, both are made of metal and are hefty for their size. I would say they are good. The reflectors in the Meizhi seem slightly cheaper than the Viperspectra.
  • The P300 clearly uses a thicker metal housing as there is no flex on any of the metal surfaces. The reflector is a different style and looks to be good quality. The P300, as seen below, is larger than the other 300w and 450w LED's.
  • The P300 has the advantage in these categories.

i4OveHn.jpg

Power Usage (measured with a Kill-a-Watt):

Meizhi 450w
  • Veg switch only: 133w
  • Veg and Flower: 201w
Platinum P300
  • Veg switch only: 100w
  • Veg and Flower: 173w
Viperspectra
  • Veg and Flower: 260w
It's important to note that there is no separate veg and flower switches, it's just on or off.
  • P300 has the advantage here

Temperatures:
*The hottest spot I could find on the housing*

Meizhi: 95f

Viperspectra: 94f

P300: 91f

What's interesting is that the P300 and Viperspectra are running all their LED's, while the Meizhi is only running the veg lights. I'll measure it again and see if it gets even hotter after flipping to flower.

As far as tent temps, the tent stays 8-10 degrees (Fahrenheit) cooler than my 4x4 with two 315w CMH's. My tents are in my basement which usually stays somewhat cool in the summer, but I've been struggling with higher temps this summer in the CMH tent. The LED's definitely solve that problem.

If there's any other information you would like to see about the P300 or the other two LED's, or any questions you want answered, let me know.

And now, on to the grow!

Last edited:
As I said before, I'm growing two Critical Kush plants. They are being grown in a coco coir/perlite medium in 5 gallon pots. Nutrients include the Fox Farm trio, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Bloom (part A+B) and CALMAG. Water is R/O. I make up 5 gallon jugs with the nutrients and both plants are fed the same mixture on an as needed basis. Normally I top my plants at least once and lollipop near the end. For this grow I will not be doing anything other than feeding and trying to keep the environment where they like it as to not interfere more than I have to. This should help keep the lighting the only variable.

Day 4 after popping:

Meizhi
a81FzAY.jpg

P300
G4iBmDm.jpg

You'll notice that the P300 has quite a bit more red hue than the Meizhi. I wasn't sure how that would affect the plants.

Day 7:

Meizhi
mLscsbq.jpg

P300
8KlGlHI.jpg

Day 15:

Meizhi
eV4aKaD.jpg

P300
vYXmHbt.jpg

Last edited:
Note that I try my best to take the pictures from similar distances so that you can relate the size of the plants to each other.

Day 17:

Meizhi
i3uyFDv.jpg

P300
aHRlIH7.jpg

Day 19:

Meizhi
xZzXEgJ.jpg

P300
Au8ax9z.jpg

Day 24:

Meizhi
PAkUDuY.jpg

P300
3vPR8zH.jpg

Day 37

Meizhi
pFlErm6.jpg

P300
SQvx8Zz.jpg

Day 42, sort of an overhead shot. hard to see the height difference.

Meizhi
u2L404w.jpg

P300 - As you can see she is now flowering and the Flower light has been flipped on.
8ywYV0Q.jpg

It's now day 45. Look for an update tomorrow!

Day 37

Meizhi
pFlErm6.jpg

P300
SQvx8Zz.jpg

Day 42, sort of an overhead shot. hard to see the height difference.

Meizhi
u2L404w.jpg

P300 - As you can see she is now flowering and the Flower light has been flipped on.
8ywYV0Q.jpg

It's now day 45. Look for an update tomorrow!
Im interested in your light comparison...thx for posting...im in.

Day 46

Meizhi
5XUMG13.jpg

P300: The down side to not topping; I'm running out of room.
YpwAAvt.jpg

Here's a shot of the bubblelicious under the Viperspectra. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it's a decent bit bigger than the Meizhi plant. This could be strain related however.
sIjlawP.jpg

Those are seedlings you can kind of see on the left (Panama Lime and RQS Diesel)

Back