Lighting question.

Reaction score
I just bought a 240 W kingbrite from alibaba.
Do you guys reckon it will be optimal in a 3x3 tent?. I know it would have fit much better in a 2x4 but I sadly can't seem to be able to find a good quality 2 x 4 tent around where I live.

This will be my first grow and I'm worried I could be getting way more from my future girls if only I invested a tiny bit more $$ into a cheap marshydro tsl 600. Any advice? Is it worth getting an additional light?
Thanks

Should ok for that tent size. Kingbrite 240 I looked up was on par with ts1000 price and umol wise. 118 vs 120 and 2.35 vs 2.3 umol.

I am just finishing my first grow, but a word of advice: buy a lux meter (DrMeter on US Amazon is around $40 and has worked great for me). All the “lux guidelines“ on the internet can be very inaccurate as lux readings vary widely by type of light, but you can use YOUR measurements to track what you did this time and be able to re-create settings on future grows. I’m starting up my second grow now and being able to re-set my lights to the levels I did last time is really helpful (rather than estimating heights/brightness). It will also help you realize how much the vertical growth changes the light intensity on your plants. It can change really quickly. You’ll also see how much different the light intensity is in various parts of your tent. All good info as you’re learning to take care of and “read” your plants.

Good luck on your first grow! It will be nerve-wracking, but it is so much fun.

I am just finishing my first grow, but a word of advice: buy a lux meter (DrMeter on US Amazon is around $40 and has worked great for me). All the “lux guidelines“ on the internet can be very inaccurate as lux readings vary widely by type of light, but you can use YOUR measurements to track what you did this time and be able to re-create settings on future grows. I’m starting up my second grow now and being able to re-set my lights to the levels I did last time is really helpful (rather than estimating heights/brightness). It will also help you realize how much the vertical growth changes the light intensity on your plants. It can change really quickly. You’ll also see how much different the light intensity is in various parts of your tent. All good info as you’re learning to take care of and “read” your plants.

Good luck on your first grow! It will be nerve-wracking, but it is so much fun.
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I mean, someone on reddit suggested their yield doubled once they added in amother 100 W of light.(mentioned I should have around 40 W/sqft). I believe them but I'm sad to say I have a pretty tight budget as it is and as much as I would love to double my yield I simply don't have the money for another light right now.

Kingbrite 240 is actually supposed to be 240 Watts .
If it is actually drawing 240 watts from the wall you might have done better with a ts 1000. Only 150 watt draw for damn near the same ppe of 2.3 umol.

Yeah, sometimes the names on the lights are, ah, optimistic. Unless you've got a watt meter on the outlet to check most people have found the "real" wattage quite a bit less than stated.

EDIT: Don't be discouraged though. Several people on here have Kingbrights and say they are quite good and grow well with them!

Definitely stay positive. Do the best you can within your budget. It is so easy to get overwhelmed as you start this hobby. I had two terrible initial attempts (lost all my seeds due to bad soil). Everyone here is so supportive - they’ll help you through the rough spots. Just keep trying and you’ll get there! I cut down my first plant yesterday and it feels so good!

One more newbie word of wisdom: when you read “advice” or other posts about what people are doing, ALWAYS look at what medium they’re growing in. Coco vs soil vs super soil vs hydro/dw, etc. Certain pieces of advice for one medium are completely wrong for another (Like CalMag: necessary in coco; seldom needed in good soil despite what people on Reddit tell you).

Make sure you read @Mañ'O'Green ’s post “a word on nutrients” under New Growers Forum. He also has watering advice that you’ll see on many of his posts - great info to guide you (if you’re watering soil).

Back