Reaction score
what led light would you recommend for a 48"x24"x60" grow tent?

What is your budget? Are you handy with DIY?

I run two 300 watt MarsHydro in that exact same size tent. I am very, very satisfied.

Attachments

• tent shot.JPG
    tent shot.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 190
  • GEDC0466.JPG
    GEDC0466.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 182
WOW!!! Is that all you run is those two 300 watt LEDs? And how hot does it get in your tent? How much did you give for them and how long do they last?

I guess I should give a little history. I have only ever grown with cfls and I have had some good results. I've seen a lot of people using LEDs and I thought I would give them a try. But I don't know a hole lot about LEDs can I start seedlings under them? How far from the plants should I keep them? And is there anything else I should know?

Distance more depends on the light and the desired spread. The 2 Mars300 wouldn't be a bad choice, 3 would be better for that space. This is a good entry level option for a budget. You can start seedlings under leds fine, light is light no matter the source.

If you've got a little coin to spend you can get something like this. Gonna produce nearly twice the amount of light for the same watts as something like a mars hydro.

http://www.tastyled.com/product-p/t4-1750l.htm

WOW!!! Is that all you run is those two 300 watt LEDs? And how hot does it get in your tent? How much did you give for them and how long do they last?
The two 300's is all I run. They are the "old style" 3 watt 3x100 and each draws 180 actual watts. I paid like $75.00 each back when Mars was changing over to the 5 watt leds and they were for sale at clearance prices. The new MarsHydro 5 watt 5x60 is still only a little over $100.00 I believe. I run a variable speed 220 cfm exhaust fan, and the tent being in a 75 degree room, have no trouble keeping tent temps below 85. LED's last for years, I don't know just how long, but a number of years. I start my seedlings at 30 inches and let them grow up to the light until it is about 24 inches away and leave it adjusted to 24 inches until stretch is over, then I lower down to about 12 inches from the tallest plant top. I like to have two 300's rather than one 600 as I use the two lights pointed in from two sides during LST, which is almost a requirement with a 5 ft tall tent. You can make the plants really stretch out wide growing more out, instead of up, toward the lights. Alot of all this depends on your goal as a grower. If you are attempting to grow enough medicine to last you until your next harvest, then you are in my class and something like the MarsHydro is just what you want. If you are growing for more high volume purposes, then you may need to spend some more money. You may be in the hobby class where your goal is to make every plant exhibit 100% of her genetic potential, which is what it seems we all turn into after awhile, LOL. Good luck with your grow. You will like LED, be sure to have CaMg on hand as the LED's really make them CaMg hogs. I supplement CaMg with every feeding. What medium do you grow in? Or are you DWC, always wanted to give DWC a try, but with 5 foot tall tent, the bucket takes up a lot of verticle space.

Are you new to AFN? Welcome if you are, this place is a gold mine of great growers. Go to Introductions and say hi to everyone and you will find a host of interesting people.

The two 300's is all I run. They are the "old style" 3 watt 3x100 and each draws 180 actual watts. I paid like $75.00 each back when Mars was changing over to the 5 watt leds and they were for sale at clearance prices. The new MarsHydro 5 watt 5x60 is still only a little over $100.00 I believe. I run a variable speed 220 cfm exhaust fan, and the tent being in a 75 degree room, have no trouble keeping tent temps below 85. LED's last for years, I don't know just how long, but a number of years. I start my seedlings at 30 inches and let them grow up to the light until it is about 24 inches away and leave it adjusted to 24 inches until stretch is over, then I lower down to about 12 inches from the tallest plant top. I like to have two 300's rather than one 600 as I use the two lights pointed in from two sides during LST, which is almost a requirement with a 5 ft tall tent. You can make the plants really stretch out wide growing more out, instead of up, toward the lights. Alot of all this depends on your goal as a grower. If you are attempting to grow enough medicine to last you until your next harvest, then you are in my class and something like the MarsHydro is just what you want. If you are growing for more high volume purposes, then you may need to spend some more money. You may be in the hobby class where your goal is to make every plant exhibit 100% of her genetic potential, which is what it seems we all turn into after awhile, LOL. Good luck with your grow. You will like LED, be sure to have CaMg on hand as the LED's really make them CaMg hogs. I supplement CaMg with every feeding. What medium do you grow in? Or are you DWC, always wanted to give DWC a try, but with 5 foot tall tent, the bucket takes up a lot of verticle space.

Are you new to AFN? Welcome if you are, this place is a gold mine of great growers. Go to Introductions and say hi to everyone and you will find a host of interesting people.
Sorry, went to your profile and you've been here longer than me. LOL:face:

Distance more depends on the light and the desired spread. The 2 Mars300 wouldn't be a bad choice, 3 would be better for that space. This is a good entry level option for a budget. You can start seedlings under leds fine, light is light no matter the source.

If you've got a little coin to spend you can get something like this. Gonna produce nearly twice the amount of light for the same watts as something like a mars hydro.

http://www.tastyled.com/product-p/t4-1750l.htm
Can you switch individual banks of emitters on/off individually, or is the whole unit eithr on/off? Looks like a nice light for sure, you run this light?

Whole unit, but it has a veg mode that will dim the whole unit. I run Cree cobs, most are DIY, but I do not own a tasty led personally. They're quality lights made by one feller in the DIY led community (most commercial fixtures are still using old technology)

You could get 2 of these(same thing basically split in 2 units) for a little more than a single larger unit.

http://www.tastyled.com/product-p/t2-1750r.htm

Now DIY isn't too difficult, and DIY kits are also available for high efficiency lighting. This is the easiest DIY option, literally mount to a frame, hang it up and plug it in. And a little easier on the pocketbook. (Also slightly more efficient)

http://timbergrowlights.com/products/diy-grow-light-kits/

Back