LED later stage growth

ion

When in doubt, smoke a trout.
Reaction score
I've got a handful of grows under my belt and I've pretty much got it worked out (basics right) but where I lack is bud chunkiness. Size, flavor, yield and so on, its okay for a beginner, but my buds aren't hard, thick. Not airy either. Good bud, but not tight, could be better. So far all attempts to move the LEDs closer to the bud causes fox-tailing. Immediately I back off and scratch my head ...How are they doing it?

My question is, what about more light? Would that be the better option? Is the whole idea of moving the light closer, because you don't have more light? What if you do? Would it be better to add more light, than to move the light closer and avoid fox-tailing, or have I got it all wrong?

I kind of figured if I blast them with another 100w (Cobb) or I could go anywhere from an extra 200w to 400w (old/spare LED) it might shock the shit out of them and I screw a very important part of the grow? That's why you move the light closer? Blasting them with more light is a bad idea?

A bit confused :shrug:

When it come to bud density the main factor your dealing with is gentics. If its not in the gentics to make hard nugs your not going to make the plant produce harder nugs by adding extra light. It doesn't work like that most of the time.

Again flavour and taste is mainly in the gentics as well as long as your dry and cure game is on point. If you growing Autoflowers you are getting individual phenotypes with each seed. Chances are most plants will be different in flavour and taste. And again chances are it will 1 in 10 ( probably higher) that may be out standing depending on how well the breeder has done their job.

In the world of photoperiods we phenohunt through 100s and 1000s to find that one that tastes,smells and looks amazing, which we can then clone and reproduced over and over again and again.
Trust me I've gone through loads of packs to find my keepers. Unicorns are a lot more common in photoperiods but still hard to find in just one pack of 12 every time

My best tips would be to focus on air flow and light penetration.
Sound like you on the ball and have enough of a PAR reading above your plants especially if your making them foxtail (sign of to much light).

If you know your growing game is on point it comes down to gentics gentics gentics.

This is why I grow both, Autoflowers for the fun of it and photoperiods for medicine.

When it come to bud density the main factor your dealing with is gentics. If its not in the gentics to make hard nugs your not going to make the plant produce harder nugs by adding extra light. It doesn't work like that most of the time.

Again flavour and taste is mainly in the gentics as well as long as your dry and cure game is on point. If you growing Autoflowers you are getting individual phenotypes with each seed. Chances are most plants will be different in flavour and taste. And again chances are it will 1 in 10 ( probably higher) that may be out standing depending on how well the breeder has done their job.

In the world of photoperiods we phenohunt through 100s and 1000s to find that one that tastes,smells and looks amazing, which we can then clone and reproduced over and over again and again.
Trust me I've gone through loads of packs to find my keepers. Unicorns are a lot more common in photoperiods but still hard to find in just one pack of 12 every time

Sound like you on the ball and have enough of a PAR reading above your plants especially if your making them foxtail (sign of to much light).

If you know your growing game is on point it comes down to gentics gentics gentics.

This is why I grow both, Autoflowers for the fun of it and photoperiods for medicine.

Possible overfeeding causes foxtail along with too much light,
My grow lights be on 24/7 and I get them near the end.
Not bad foxtails but still foxtails regardless.
Good airflow and correct ppfd helps,
Every time feed nutes, the next day it's worse, then I feed just water and it don't progress any more,
Then I feed nutes and it starts again.
But too much light is a major factor too

Reactions: ion
Genetics. Never even considered that, and its a huge factor. As far as my growing game being on point, I've got half a dozen grows under my belt. Never grew a thing before a I came here, and the advice I saw repeatedly was ...environment, environment, environment. So that's what I've focused on. I use the VPD Chart and make sure everything is within range, and maintain it. For this, much of my mistakes are not nearly as bad as they could be, and I end up with some half decent weed :)

I learned a thing or two about genetics last grow. 2x White Widows, 1x Amnesia and a Blue Dream in a 4x4 with LED panel and all the bits and bobs. One of the White Widows exploded. Never seen anything like it. I the end it was ceiling high and because of this I moved the panel as high as it would go thus neglecting the other plants. In the end the giant awesome, but the others were airy, stringy, smallish.

The monster was a dud. It didn't really smell much as it cured. I don't know, just something not quite punchy about it. The others I didn;t really care. Jared them up and pretty much forgot about them whilst I got into the monster one jar at a time ...In the end it gave me a headache. Finally finished it and no way was I going to start the next Widow so I smoked the other 2 alternating. After who knows how long I finally got around to the last jars. The White Widow ...

Best smoke I've ever had. Breaks my heart to think if I had of cared for it proper with enough light and concentrated on it instead of neglecting it for the big one. If I had of known ...I would have snapped that big one in half! lol But genetics play a big role hey. I learned that. I think, but I'm not sure, but smell also plays a role in figuring out genetics. That monster Widow never really smelled right. But the small one, it always had this sweet/tangy smell about it, really pleasant. It pretty much smoked the same in the end between the two. One was a dud, and the other was the best I've ever had. Smell, taste, effect.

That would of coarse cross to all areas of the plant, such as size, bud density (thanks for that) :)

Back