Is This the Down Side of 12 / 12 Lighting with AutoFlowers When Used at Tent Fillers?

ExNavyInSTL

Old Sailor with a new hobby!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
My own shit, thanks to places like this!
I recently completed a "Mystery Tester" Grow for Irie Genetics (Rasta Jeff) where I ended up pulling 3 males from my 5 testers. Sucky Odds I know.

Because of this, I threw in a couple of Auto-Flower plants (Purple Haze Auto & California Snow).

They lived the first 53 days of their life on 12/12 lighting. Once I harvested the tester plants the new AFs and are now in 20/4 lighting.

I took these pictures on Day 57. They are only 6.5 and 7.5 inches tall with no real lateral branching.

Even so; they are just about all flower from the ground up.

If you have used AFs as tent fillers, did you have a similar experience?

My guess is that they will go 80-90 days, so there are at least another 3 weeks to go with 20 hours of light a day.

I'm not complaining, but just curious if this "can" be the norm?

As a tester for Irie, I expect to run Regulars a few times a year, so I like the idea of throwing in AFs to fill the tent back up. The good news is he is developing Feminized Regulars, but you nevery know what you are gonna get when you Test. Maybe next time I'll get lucky and get those Fems.

My next full grow is going back to Autos. I'm thinking about doing a grow log, so expect a shit load of photography, : )
IMG_6419.JPG
IMG_6420.JPG

I think the problem was they were stunted in veg state by not getting enough light during those 12/12 cycles, the other flowering plants might of been good but the lower younger AF plants didn't seem to get much light as they are short.

Stunted girls seem to finish faster so they might be finished sooner than you think but take it 1 week at a time and see how they look.

Edit: two different strains both short and stunted is what gave me the conclusion above ^

Autos can very easily live on a 12/12 schedule, you need to get them much closer to the light to fulfill a proper DLI, this is where a PAR meter will pay for itself in short order.

Hello from a former roof rat!

Last edited:
Buildasoil YouTube series did some night owl seeds in 12/12 n they were some nice plants

Thank you for the info!

Back