Grow Room Introducing the KUBUS

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'd like to introduce you all to a project I've been working on for some weeks now, the KUBUS.

My aim is to build a tiny grow box, that fits in the most common piece of IKEA furniture, so it can blend in with your home furniture and you don't need to hide it anywhere.

The Kubus is not the solution for the large producer, but for those people who are interested in having a small supply for personal use and who don't necessarily have the knowledge or will to learn how to grow

There is no external smell nor light. it makes virtually no sound and it is controlled by an Arduino brain that balances elements like temperature and humidity, and also controls fans, lighting and water supply.

We are just at the beginning and our aim is now to try and get the largest harvest without having to compromise on any of the "safety" specs.

You can get an idea of what it would look like once finished in the attached image. Keep in mind that it is just a concept 3d rendering and that the real thing will look a bit different. At the moment it is a mix of wood, cardboard and wires allover the place :D

I'd love to hear some feedback from you guys, if you think this is retarded, if there is something interesting, what could be done better, etc. Fire away!

Attachments

• Full open v1 (2).JPG
    Full open v1 (2).JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 113
Pretty cool! I ordered a medicab micro (look it up) and had to rebuild the SOB completely since it was way too hot and the air filter didn't work worth a shit! A thousand bucks for a POS! I sent rebuild pics to the maker in California and no response. I got a guy in China working on a miniature air filter for micro grows. The 120mm fan through a carbon filter pad doesn't work well as that was my first attempt at rebuilding. I ended up with a full fledged filter and blower fan. Looks like you got LED lighting which is good. In the picture, a white spectrum is awesome! (3000k to 9000k would be best imo) Right now in my little cab, I am running a 180 watt LED and it's way to much light! I wish I could find some LED light bars instead but as of yet, I can't find anything that will fit. Look me up in micro grows as I am active here. You can see what I ended up with.

This pic pretty much shows most of the cab. I use CFL's for vedge and the LED gets installed week 3. (It's in now) But ya, good luck on your en devours as I am sure there is a market for such a product. Oh ya, that smart controller is a good idea for sure! I think it should be an option.
Capture.PNG

Hi Bigolnoob. I had seen the Medicabs whilst doing some research, and I must say, I find them immorally expensive for what they really offer. Hearing that you had to make all those changes makes it even worse.

I have to agree about the air filter. Our first attempt was also just the plain pad and the results were quite poor. I'm quite interested in this extractor you are making in China, do you have any more details about that?

Regarding the lighting, the led's we are using are not white, but a mix of white, blue and red. We made our own pcb's and those we have actually been fiddling around for a few years for another project. Currently we are at 42W with 6 pcb's, but we will test it with 4 which will be 28w.

One main difference in our systems is that we are not using soil. We tried all different types of hydro types, but they were all to noisy, especially the water stone and the air pump. So currently we are experimenting with an ultrasonic fogger.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG
Yes, this originally came with a hydro setup. I was told it was very quiet on the phone.. NOPE! The tub is still original. It's a 2 gallon. For stealth, I would prolly go areo-ponics..?? The 2nd picture here is of the fan the old filter was attached to. If you notice the nuts were used as spacers away from the padded reflective material on the sides. The problem is that there was an 1/8" gap from the walls leaving room for smells to escape. Also, the intake fan, exactly the same size was unrestricted. This means you have two exact same fans with the exact same airflow meaning that the restricted fan with the filter-exit could not keep up with the intake. Again making that 1/8" gap even more of a smell liability. These are good fans however. Make and Model # Comonwealth Rotary Fan Model FP-108-1. More info here. http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/106586.pdf At 112CFM per minute (STANDARD 110v!!), I would advise doubling them up stacked with filter with an unpowered intake covered with a double layer carbon filter pads for light proofing. It works very well on mine. (It needs to be cleaned about once every two months. So long as the fans were inside blowing out, they shouldn't be that loud. Easily concealable.

Now about the chinese filter. I kind of lost interest but the person I met through alibaba said he was going to take my idea and make it anyways. Go figure! I will have to do some digging in some old emails to find him again. But know, he wants a minimum order of 100 or something. Alibaba does a good job at keeping their sellers in order so not much risk there. I honestly think there are better options right here. Like I said the double stack fan and I was also able to find some very small filters at a local grow store. The next time I build a cab, I am going to us it. It's like a 3rd the size I am currently using. Would be a super option for you. I will get the part number on that.

So ya 2nd pic is the fan mentioned. First pic is current. It's a cross of ShortStuff original, bred and rebred to be even shorter. Then crossed with Jack Herer and then recrossed with super short. It's kind of made for this. We did it for other reasons however. You can fit a bunch in a 8'x8' tent.

Last edited:
Back