Inconsistent Tap Water ppm

tronN00dles

"tron"
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Cheese XXL by Dinafem
So I’ve noticed a curious thing when it comes to the ppm of my tap water.

First, I use a BlueLab conductivity pen that is regularly cleaned and calibrated. The following observations have been taken over the course of a few months now, and each time something seems out of whack, I test my BlueLab to a standard solution and it’s always accurate.

So here’s the thing:

It seems the longer I run my tap, the higher the ppm of the water that comes out of it…

If I just go to a sink and pour a glass of water, it will read 10-30ppm depending on the day. A bit of variance there, but nothing too serious.

Now say I go to the bathtub, pour up a small bucket worth, still 10-30ppm. But, if I let this tap run for a few minutes, it climbs to 80-100ppm!

Immediately after, I can go to a different tap, pour up a small amount, still 10-30ppm. But sure enough, I let that one run for a few minutes and it climbs to 80-100ppm.

Anyone know what’s going on here? It doesn’t seem to be specific to any tap in particular. The only consistent pattern I’ve found is that it seems to be related to running the tap for extended periods. I’m on a municipal water supply, btw. Could it be something to do with the water treatment plant? Or something to do with the brass fittings amongst the plumbing?

Curious to hear peoples thoughts on this….

tron

Could that be sediment?

If you let the high reading water sit, and draw a little off the top after a few hours, is it the same reading?

i thinking water temperature and o2 levels are the only difference between samples,, both i believe can affect ppm levels

Probably an old house with old piping. Most municipal water suppliers take great care to keep all parameters within check so such a difference doesn't come from the supplier, but from somewhere in between...Probably the local pipes.
Do you have a main valve to shut the water off in the house? If so, is there a small tap beside it? Take another couple samples from that fossette, if they are differenct contact your supplier, because then there is something wrong...

Back