I need a doctor

Koi

DesertDweller
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
All of the wax
Hey guys, back in action again with a way more secure grow spot; much more safe and weed friendly.
Anyways, so I'm currently trying "trying" to grow some Mephisto Grapey Walter, germed it in wet paper towel and she popped day 3. Threw her in a soil mixture of perlite, biobizz lightmix and my own compost. She was at day 20 yesterday and here is where my problems occur. For the past 4 grows I have done, I DONT KNOW WHAT. But my plants are ALWAYS shrimp dick size when they should have at least 4 nodes and decent sized fan leaves; even in the picture despite her current condition she should have been bigger, I know because I have COMBED the internet looking for comparisons. They dont show signs of stress, only malnourishment or lack of stretch and physical growth, for reasons I cannot seem to figure out. All my grows are outdoors.
So onto the current problem at hand, I attempted to correct what I believed was a humidity issue with Walter here, so I placed a moistened glass bowl over her overnight.(In a sorry attempt to correct her size)
Came and checked on her today to find out she was actually cooked, to my belief. My mistake, should not have used glass. Lesson learned, saran wrap next time.
Final rant, is it possible to cook the roots due to the fabric pot being black? I plan on wrapping the pot in a white paper towel on the next grow so to try and prevent a bake sesh.
FINAL FINAL note, all I was giving Walter in terms of food was ph'd water at 6.5 with a dose of mychorrizae every other watering, that was it; no liquid fertilizer, I wanted to see if natural nutrients from compost would make a difference at all. So there ya have it folks, any input or assistance is of course greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 20190326_145722.jpg
    20190326_145722.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 97
The black pots are probably cooking the roots if there in direct sunlight.Either bury them in the ground or cover them with much to keep them from cooking.

Reactions: Koi
The black pots are probably cooking the roots if there in direct sunlight.Either bury them in the ground or cover them with much to keep them from cooking.

Ran 5 gal black fabric smart pots on my outdoor grows last year. Pots were fully exposed on crushed stone through extended durations of extreme heat (had >10 consecutive days upper 90's, low 100's). All performed exceedingly well.

I don't think your container choice is the primary issue here. If your plants are 'always shrimp dick size', I would start with your medium. Try a run with a completely different base, excluding your own compost mix.

Will try a different medium after this run, @TheArchitect this is my first run doing a compost medium so we will see how it goes :biggrin:
As for the pots being black I have had issues before with roots being cooked so I will take steps to cover em up.
Another common factor I noticed in all the small grows was my humidity. I will be lucky if I reach 20% out where I live, we average around 10-15%. So ill be implementing a humidity tray this grow as well as frequent mistings to try and keep the RH at a nice number. I ordered a temp and rh reader so that should help with fine tuning. Its worth mentioning she is growing next to alot of other greenery, orange trees, some herby shrubs etc. So im hoping the presence of fellow plants will help with the environmental issues she had before when it was just her.

How much are you watering as I had small bonsai plants when I was quickly trying to get some outdoor plants started and was overwatering.

How much are you watering as I had small bonsai plants when I was quickly trying to get some outdoor plants started and was overwatering.
Pretty infrequently actually, every 3 sometimes 4 days

Back