How Medical Cannabis and Migraine

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
vaping
Most of us suffer from either occasional or frequent headaches, most of those are "tension" or exhaustion type headaches, and while they can be nasty, real migraines, which far fewer people suffer from, can be seriously disabling. Migraines can happen as often as daily or as rarely as once or twice a year, and attacks, which literally feel like someone is taking tongs and crimping your brain, can last anywhere from three to four hours to three to four days. As well, migrains can be "common" - meaning there is no aura - or "classical" meaning there is. Medically, migraines are vascular headaches. Spasms and narrowing of the blood vessels leading to the brain produces the migraine "syndrome" and reduced blood flow to the brain causes lower oxygen levels, which then triggers the release of serotonin (a brain chemical) and the dilation of blood vessels outside the brain, which can become congested. Migraines can either involve the whole head and neck region or they can be focused on just one region.
Current medicine isn't entirely certain of the origin of migraines, but studies are looking at:
A possible genetic basis, since migraines tend to run in families.
The role of food or allergens in triggering migraines.
Possible environmental causes, including temperature and barometric pressure changes
The role of nicotine and/or caffeine in prompting a migraine.
The fact that since most (but not all) migraine sufferers are women may indicate hormonal changes as a trigger.
When you're suffering from a migraine, a classic attack is preceded by an "aura" about half an hour before your head starts to hurt. For some people these auras include smelling a metallic odor and seeing flashes of light in your peripheral vision, but sometimes an aura can also be subtle, like an unexplained cranky mood, or over-sensitivity to sound. When the headache comes it's intense, and may cause vomiting, as well as difficulties with driving, walking, or talking.
Current treatment involves finding a cool dark place to wait it out, and taking a migraine formula analgesic (usually a combination of acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine), avoid noise, and put a cool compress on your head, but there are also a host of prescription drugs which are as mild as Midrin (a cocktail that is stronger than Excedrin) or as strong is Imitrex, which can leave you feeling like a zombie. All of them essentially dilate blood vessels, and have pain relievers in them, but none of them work when there's a lot of vomiting and you can't keep anything down.
Knowing all of this, is it any wonder that medical marijuana offers an excellent option for migraine treatment? Consider that cannabis preparations have been prescribed for migraines in both England and America during the 19th century, where it was the primary option for treating "sick headache." Today, there available tinctures are absorbed sublingually (under the tongue) and work within minutes, and inhaling marijuana smoke or using a nebulizer can work even more rapidly. Even better, all three of those methods of absorption can be used even when vomiting is occurring, because they work independently of the GI tract.
The cannabinoids present in marijuana act both as an anti-inflammatory (reducing swelling) and analgesic (pain reliever) as well as providing anti-emetic (anti-nausea) properties. As well, cannabis helps alleviate the muscle cramps of the neck and shoulders that come with migraines.
Some migraines are triggered by anxiety, and patients with that trigger should be cautious when using marijuana because in some cases in aggravates anxiety symptoms.
The dose of marijuana required is patient dependent, but usually 3-4 drops of tincture or less than a gram of bud will provide relief for up to six hours. Marijuana should only be used for migraine treatment under a physician's care, and after a complete physical, including CT scans, have ruled out any other causes for severe headaches. It works best when combined with a migraine prevention program and a place to spend attacks that restricts light and sound.

Yes! I'm a migraine sufferer myself as you can see from my avatar thingy :) I was having them 15+ days per month on 75mg of Topiramate until I added CBD as a daily supplement. I gave the Topiramate a fair (yearlong) shot to work & it never did...like, at ALL...before adding CBD too. I was also taking Midol w/ caffeine daily because it helped the less severe ones. Caffeine seems to be a decent abortive for me but I don't like it because it upsets my stomach.

This is currently the longest I've been without even a minor migraine since I started having them. I don't know what else it could be but the CBD/hemp because I haven't changed anything in my diet or lifestyle. At first the CBD actually made the headaches noticeably worse, but I stuck with it due to its purported anti-inflammatory & anti-seizure effects (migraines are similar to seizures, hence why anti-epileptics like Topiramate are prescribed for them). I can't even remember the last time I had to take Fioricet as an abortive, which is great because the shit makes me depressed af. No more Midol or caffeine either.

So yeah, for anyone curious, CBD isolate/wax, hemp buds rich in CBD (Cherry Wine, Charlotte's Cherries, SuzyQ, Purple Power Ranger, Special Sauce, etc) & other plain CBD products definitely helped reduce my migraine frequency over time when taken daily. It's not instant like with opiates where you instantly feel great, but a subtle thing where you look back after a few months & realize you haven't been in pain. I'm sure THC doesn't hurt anything if you enjoy it but I live in an illegal state & it makes me kinda paranoid anyway so I've been sticking with the legal stuff. :meds:

Back