Lighting How do UV and IR effect growth and how are they used? Should I even worry about getting them?

Reaction score
So I am about to order a light from either Meijiu or Kingbrite. I’m going to get a 320w QB and I’m wondering if I should get the model with UV/IR or if it is not worth it. I have read that IR has to be used right after lights out and UV can hurt growth during veg. Is all that true? Will just a 3500K with 660 red do well enough?
Thanks!

So I am about to order a light from either Meijiu or Kingbrite. I’m going to get a 320w QB and I’m wondering if I should get the model with UV/IR or if it is not worth it. I have read that IR has to be used right after lights out and UV can hurt growth during veg. Is all that true? Will just a 3500K with 660 red do well enough?
Thanks!

Most UV diodes are expensive and inefficient so they aren't usually featured on grow lights. Far red, 730nm, works with the inactive phytochrome for the Emerson effect and running it 5-15mins before and after lights can decrease time to harvest or allow to to 13ish hours of light during flower. You would need it on a separate driver for the EoD treatment.

Solacure, AgroMax and some others have UV bulbs but they cost as much as ones from CutterAU.

That would be my choice if I wanted everything with good efficiency. Still going to pay in efficiency with the 94cri but you have plenty of far/deep red and near UV/A that can be ran all the time. I've read that UVA can help harden plants off, reduce pathogens and bacteria, improve Ca uptake. That light comes in 3000k and the UV can run the whole cycle plus dimming is featured.

Rapid LED has UVA/730 pucks as well.

Back