Extraction Hobbes and the Coconut (first attempt)

Son of Hobbes

High of the Tiger
Staff member
AFN Admin
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Website
www.autoflower.org
Hobbes and the Coconut (first attempt)

Hey friends! Making my very first batch of coconut oil tonight! Thought I'd share in my adventures with you all!

Would like to send a big shout out to Stickman for helping me with some details on the process! :pighug: :karma Cloud:

So without further adieu:

The Ingredients

• 20 grams cannabis (all buds, was about 8 grams of Pyramid Seeds Super Hash Auto and the rest was Dutch Passion Think Different.)

DSCF3833 - Copy.jpg

• 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
    DSCF3842 - Copy.jpg

• 3 tsp (teaspoons) of sunflower lecithin
    DSCF3841 - Copy.jpg

Materials Used

Crock Pot
Oven
Pyrex Bowl
Spatula
Coffee Grinder
Baking Sheet
Parchment Paper

The Procedure

Started by preheating the oven to about 250 degrees Fahrenheit. My oven is an older electric, so it doesn't retain it's temperature well, so if you have an oven like this; I would suggest an oven thermometer and checking the temps often to keep it more consistent.

While the oven was preheating, I filled the crock pot with some hot water and turned it on to LOW heat. Then I put a pyrex bowl into the water so it acts as a double boiler.

DSCF3846 - Copy.jpg
DSCF3831 - Copy.jpg

Once the bowl was in place; I added the half cup of coconut oil and the 3 teaspoons of powdered sunflower lecithin.

DSCF3843 - Copy.jpg

I took the buds and broke them apart slightly, removing the larger stems, then placed them on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. They baked at about 240-250 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30 minutes.

DSCF3845 - Copy.jpg
DSCF3834 - Copy.jpg
DSCF3840 - Copy.jpg

And here they are after their 30 minutes in the oven.

DSCF3848 - Copy.jpg

When the buds were done baking, they were put into a coffee grinder and ground up very fine into powder.

DSCF3847 - Copy.jpg
DSCF3850 - Copy.jpg

Then added to the coconut oil / lecithin mix.

DSCF3851 - Copy.jpg

I now have the mixture going on LOW heat in the crock pot and will let it go at this pace for the next 4 hours or so, stirring it a bit on the hour.

When it's done; will remove it from the water bath and cool in the fridge. Will keep you all updated! Thanks for the read!

BRAVO SoH,

Very nice pictography. Now that you emptied your coconut jar, you have something to keep youir product in besides baggies, ha ha ha, just kidding

Is that a dollar store timer? he he he

Great Job, again Awesome stuff, payin' it forward, you make me proud brother.

Results ----->:Woozy..?:

Peace

Eek

BRAVO SoH,

Very nice pictography. Now that you emptied your coconut jar, you have something to keep youir product in besides baggies, ha ha ha, just kidding

Is that a dollar store timer? he he he

Great Job, again Awesome stuff, payin' it forward, you make me proud brother.

Results ----->:Woozy..?:

Peace

Eek

That IS a dollar store timer hahahaha! Hey man for some things you can't beat a buck! ah that's good stuff! Thanks for the compliments bro; I feel pretty confident it's going to turn out pretty good! Have some good teachers here, that's for sure! :cool:

About 2 hours 20 minutes left! Had to add some hot water to the crock pot; noticed it was getting down there a little bit. Very coconut-y smell!

Finished the up the coconut oil!

DSCF3856 - Copy.jpg
DSCF3854 - Copy.jpg

Stuck the bowl with the oil mixture into the fridge last night to cool. It didn't take long at all for the coconut oil to solidify up.

This morning we pulled the bowl out of the fridge and stuck it in a cooking pot with hot water from the tap. In a few minutes, the oil in the bowl had warmed up to the point where it was liquid again.

DSCF3861 - Copy.jpg

We took a large tip syringe (the kind that you would use to give a cat or dog liquid supplements/antibiotics/etc, I'm sure any syringe would work as long as the opening is big enough,) and filled 00 sized gelatin capsules with them.

DSCF3862 - Copy.jpg
DSCF3858 - Copy.jpg

We filled a teaspoon up and extracted the liquid with the syringe and it came out to be just about 5 capsules on the nose.

So by our measurement; five 00-sized capsules = 1 teaspoon.

DSCF3860 - Copy.jpg

We ended up encapsulating the entire batch of oil. It's way easier to get down if you don't have a problem swallowing pills (the 00 size pills are pretty big, be forewarned.)

DSCF3865 - Copy.jpg

If 1 US cup = 48 US teaspoons, and there are 5 capsules to a teaspoon of coco-oil in our mix, we should have about 240 capsules at 48 one teaspoon doses.

And there you have it! :tiphat:

Wow!!! Incredible pictorial brother! Overwhelmed to say the least.

Max reps + , and you know I ain't just a doing that cause you gave the shout out :no: . You deserve it!!!!

You truly are multi- talented my brother. :tiphat:

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!!! Incredible pictorial brother! Overwhelmed to say the least. :tiphat:

Max reps + my brother, and you know I ain't just a doing that cause you gave the shout out. :no:
You truly are multi- talented my brother.

Peace

Thank you brother; I don't think it would have turned out nearly as well without your guidance! :hug:

How did they turn out Hobbes?

Where can I get those empty capsules?

Last edited:
Fantastic work Hobbes :) Max rep man !

So what's the effect like and i guess it can be used medically ?

Cheers,

steely.

Back