High summer heat/cloudless days and young plants.

gomicao

Time Travel
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Papaya Cake
Howdy folks, im on my first auto grow, as well as first attempt at outdoors. I have 1 seedling a week along and 2 others that just fully broke dirt and stood up as of today (planted a week behind the other one). I have them in my 3x3 grow tent at the moment. Heat has been kept between 70 and 80 degrees, and humidity has been around 57 to 65% (higher when lights are off, lower when on).

All three are planted in 10 gallon black fabric pots as their forever home (should have went with beige I know). My question is... up till this week we have mostly been in the temp range of no more than low 80's in the day and mid to low 50's at night. Pretty big temp swing. But looking at the weather coming up. It is nothing but mid to high 90's in the day and 60's at night. Ideally I would like to move them all outside after they each have had at least a week to 12 days of growth in the tent. I figure given this situation, which is bound to happen more as we get into later summer, a shade cloth is going to be needed to avoid them getting fried... I was thinking of ordering this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Agfabri...ants-Cover-Black-E3SDR0608B/315684126#overlay which says it blocks 30% of light... but given the heat and what is shaping up to be another hot dry summer... Do you think something more like a 50% light blockage of the same cloth would be better for those 90 degree+ days?

I don't want to over do it on the shade, but too much would obviously be better than them just getting cooked to hell. Even the temps alone seem bad, and if I could just keep them in my tent for another week I would, but we have had such hot summers the last few years I know I can't avoid it permanently and the light I have in my tent is just something like a 380+/- watt small cheap blurple. The pots are too heavy and the distance from the tent room to the outside door is too much to continually move them back and fourth inside and out. Any reccomendations on how I should proceed? Will a 30% shade cloth be enough for those hot ass sunny days or should I go for the 50%? Should I keep them in my tent an extra week just to see if the heat settles down despite the crappy light I have? With their limited veg cycle I want to get them out under that sun to grow asap.

Attachments

• signal-2022-07-20-190630.jpeg
    signal-2022-07-20-190630.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 21
I’ve grown outside in similar conditions out here in the Sonoran desert during the monsoon. No problems except the wind.

Attachments

• 0DFD95DD-7793-403E-85F1-31E825DA0935.jpeg
    0DFD95DD-7793-403E-85F1-31E825DA0935.jpeg
    702.1 KB · Views: 28
I’ve grown outside in similar conditions out here in the Sonoran desert during the monsoon. No problems except the wind.

Wow that is one tall plant hah! Do you have shade at any points in the day? And are they out there in those conditions from seedling or do you move them outside at some point?

Wow that is one tall plant hah! Do you have shade at any points in the day? And are they out there in those conditions from seedling or do you move them outside at some point?
They received all sun except when the sun got to it’s highest point. At that point, they received a little bit of dappled shade from the Oak late in the day.

They received all sun except when the sun got to it’s highest point. At that point, they received a little bit of dappled shade from the Oak late in the day.

It appears my roomie has a shade cloth already, so I may hang that up or have some spots to hang it from during certain particularly hot days like we have coming up all this week here. I have the one plant well on with its first two set of true leaves, but the other do have a week to catch up. Still trying to decide if I should attempt to skip the worst of it since it will be a whole week of hell, vs a day here and there.

I guess I could put the one plant out and see if it thrives or gets super pissed off, and that could give me an idea about the other two coming along... But the other two being the same strain and the first one being different, it would be a shame to lose the one that is different hah.

It appears my roomie has a shade cloth already, so I may hang that up or have some spots to hang it from during certain particularly hot days like we have coming up all this week here. I have the one plant well on with its first two set of true leaves, but the other do have a week to catch up. Still trying to decide if I should attempt to skip the worst of it since it will be a whole week of hell, vs a day here and there.

I guess I could put the one plant out and see if it thrives or gets super pissed off, and that could give me an idea about the other two coming along... But the other two being the same strain and the first one being different, it would be a shame to lose the one that is different hah.
Just make sure to keep the sun from hitting the pot/bag directly. I’m at 5,000’ & the UV is crazy in the summer. I used cardboard around mine. I removed it for the pic.

EDIT: The Vivosun bags handles were shot after 1 grow. The handles ripped in half when I tried to reuse them. UV is a killer.

Last edited:
Just make sure to keep the sun from hitting the pot/bag directly. I’m at 5,000’ & the UV is crazy in the summer. I used cardboard around mine. I removed it for the pic.

EDIT: The Vivosun bags handles were shot after 1 grow. The handles ripped in half when I tried to reuse them. UV is a killer.

Yeah I was trying to think of a way to mask the bags without fucking their aeration/drainage quality... I don't have money to fuck with anymore this summer, but some poster board or something should really help. My buddy has used black pots for a long time outside without tons of issues, but when its this hot and sunny... it would suck to have your work die on you.

Back