Help with Drooping Kush Van Stitch!

M

melancholy

Hi everybody,

I'll start by answering most of the questions in the pinned post (some of them won't/don't apply so I'll skip those)

First of all, I am a novice - this is not my first grow (although I have never gone to flower/harvest) but I read quite a bit (I pretty much research growing constantly) and have a few experienced grower friends that I learned second-hand from
This IS however, one of my first grows starting with seeds (and I gotta say, clones are a hell of a lot easier! LOL)

Your Equipment:
.1) Type and wattage of lights. 4x 23w Daylight CFL
.2) Distance from tops? 1-4inch
.3) Reflector type? Homemade cereal box with "parabolic" shaped mylar reflector
.4) Is there a consistent fresh air supply? Yes
.5) Do you have an exhaust fan and a circulation fan? Exhaust yes and then a smaller fan in my veg box to move air around plus "swiss cheese" floor with passive intakes
.6) What are the bulb wattages, kelvin ratings, and schedule? 23w, 6500k I believe

Your medium:
.7) Specific brand and type of soil - FF Ocean Forest with MiracleGro Perlite (I know not to use MG Potting soil, figured MG Perlite would be fine but recently learned it has trace N-P-K - does all perlite?)
.8) Size of container. 1qt

Your nutrients and water:
.9) Source of water. (tap or filtered) What's it's ph? Filter - pH was around 7 - thinking maybe that was the problem, adjusted with lemon juice to lower 6's.
10) Method of checking water ph. Test strips
11) Method of adjusting water ph. Lemon juice
- NO NUTES YET, SKIPPING -

Your growroom:
18) Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
19) What size of closet, room or hut? roughly 2x2x2
20) What are the temps and humidity levels while lights are on? max has been 86* F with 39% RH, min has been 75* F with 36% RH ...With lights off? Just changed lights to 20/4 timing yesterday.
21) Have you seen signs of insects in the growroom? I've seen what looked like one gnat/flying insect - plan on getting pest strips ASAP (any suggestions? minimal space requirement+maximum effectiveness?)

Your strain:
22) What strain are you growing? (Indica dominate or Sativa dom?) Kush Van Stitch (Kush should be indica IMO, but OG Kush is apparently more sativa so I'm not sure what side KVS is leaning toward - its Lowryder #2 x OG Kush)
23) Is this an photoperiod strain? No
24) How old is the plant? Approx 2 weeks
25) In what life-cycle is it? Vegetative
26) From seeds or clones? Seeds

I already lost one seedling - the stem slowly wilted and got skinny then the leaves died. I plucked it out and it looked like it had been "pinched" at a certain point - below a certain point on the stem, it looked perfectly healthy (section that was under soil) but after the "pinch" it looked like it was severely damage and got really skinny. Might have been my dog sniffing around it on the porch one day when I had them in the sun while messing with the grow box.

My concern now is making sure as many plants as possible make it to maturity (I dropped my last 4 beans into peat starters yesterday, hoping to get some more healthy plants. 4 of the seeds from my package looked like "good", mature, tiger striped seeds, the other 4 almost looked immature - tiny, no striping, light in color but still hard, not crunchable - wondering if this is the cause of the weak seedlings?) - I have a 400w HPS CoolTube set up coming, so I want these babies healthy and ready to FLOWER! As you can see, one plant is drooping pretty significantly - I figured it was from overwatering so I mixed in some more perlite to the soil in hopes it would help with the dry/water cycle. Problem #2 is the stunted runt plant - is this little one going to make it? It's so small, it's hard to tell if it's even growing anymore :no: I just watered prior to these pictures being taken and I realized the filtered water I had been using was pretty alkaline (even higher than 7, I think) so I brought down the pH with some lemon juice and did a re-water/light "flush" where I can the more acidic water thru a couple times, hoping to get rid of the more alkaline water. Not sure if this will work well, I am a novice and just going with what I think the plant wants/needs.

Pictures:
1) My healthiest baby for comparison (or if you think anything is wrong with it, please feel free to point it out)
2yo8ffm.jpg

2) Droopy plant - looks about as developed as my healthy one, just lighter green in color, droopy leaves
2570ztj.jpg

3) Runt - this plant is so tiny, barely any visible development. Whats going on here? Stunted? Focusing on roots?
vcrynl.jpg

I realize I should have gone with some bigger pots, but I don't necessarily want these getting more than 2-3 feet tall (don't have the room or set up for that yet) and these 1qt pots were the biggest/best for cost and they had drainage holes+tray - are these way too small? Should I transplant into something bigger further down the road?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated - help me turn this help thread into a Kush Van Stitch Grow Journal! (it would only be the second one on AFN as far as I can tell!) :clap:

If you went straight into FF without a peat puck it may be over fed

Don't over water.FFOF could be a little hot.I would put some soil around the stem of the one with sticks and remove them.Theres not much you can do but just give them plain ph water and hopefully they will come back.Also check your runoff ph.

They still look okay just make sure ya don't overwater. You will see a big gain when you get that 400w light going. Don't feed til they start in their third week and make sure you keep checking ph.

I started them in peat starters and then transferred those into a FFOF/perlite mix. Just recently added some more perlite to help with soil compaction and hopefully dry out the soil a little better/faster. Figured overwatering was the cause but I've only watered these plants probably 3 times their whole life. I've been picking the pots up and getting a feel for the wet vs. dry weight so I guess I'll just have to start letting the soil dry out a little further

You will find all the help you need here and welcome to the AFN. FFOF is a very hot soil and can be difficult to use but once you get the hang of it you'll love it.

This thread needs to be moved to the New growers forum you will get a lot more help there.

Things are looking better this morning. The runt looks like it has actually grown some, the one that has been healthy is still thriving and I'm seeing new growth everyday - the droopy one still looks droopy. I have taken out the toothpicks and buried the stem a little more, as suggested. I obviously have not watered but I'm still not sure whats causing it - the stem looks awfully white/light green, could this be a sign of a nutrient deficiency or pH or some other problem? On a side note, I've been trying to get my humidity up a little higher without buying a humidifier (I feel it would be too much in the small grow box and don't want a lot of steam/mist around the electrical components) and it currently hovers right under or around 40% - any suggestions? I would use my heat mat but I'm currently using it to germ some more seeds.

White stems on seedlings is normal. For the humidity try placing a small dish of water in your box and that might help. 50% hum would be better but 40 is a little low. How much longer before you get the 400w light?

Hey mel,

Welcome and thank you to fill out the form. +rep for that ;)

Regarding your question bout perlite: perlite is neutral, meaning it doesn't affect pH nor does it have any NPK capability. If the perlite you bought is plain crystal White I wouldn't worry, because it means it's pretty brand new and neutral.

Regarding the plants they are all a bit behind. The FFOF is a bit hot and that might have stunted your roots. So you need it to be environment friendly to the roots.
Do you have any of the following: seaweed (kelp), humic/fulvic acids and mycorrhizae? All these work like energisers and vitality boosters! They will help the roots absorb what they need and when they need from the soil, preventing stunts and recovering faster from stunts. Whenever planting a seed you should allways give her some energisers to boost up her vitality features. Attention: this is not considered to be Nutes.

You need to increase the humidity to around 50%. You can place a bowl of water or a wet towel next to the intake fan.

Regarding the pH you need to lower your soil pH to around 6,3. I get a feeling you already know that the strips are not as versatile and accurate as an electronic pH meter. You should start searching for one now :) I advise Hanna Instruments.

For the insects I advise Neem Oil, because you can start the treatments at the early days and it's biological.

Happy gardening! :)

Back