Reaction score
Hi I am new on the forum and am finishing up my first grow of Big Bomb Autoflower. I grew two plants using a mix of compost, potting soil, vermiculite and pumice in a 7-gal smartpot. They both turned out pretty small (Approx. 14 inches) but the buds fattened up nicely and am hoping I get some decent bud. I also used the LST technique on one and it looked like a completely different plant as it matured, and grew several new colas (compared to my other plant with one main cola, and two very small colas). Enough about my current grow, my question is regarding growing Autoflowers during the winter months.

I live in the US (northern California) and have fairly mild winters. We do not get snow where I live, but we will get the occasional frost in December-early February and the average temperature is around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. During the shortest days of the year, we are receiving approx. 9 hours of sun per day. If I were to start a grow in November and grow in these conditions would it be worth my time? Or would I need to build a small green house that I could hang a light in for supplemental lighting during the cold months?

I am posting here because I have been doing research for a few months and have not been successful in tracking down any information regarding this. if someone could help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.

If they don't freeze then they would survive to term as they're autos, but they wouldn't thrive with the low amount of light available to them. If you have a whole load of seeds then sure, fire a couple of 'em up and see what happens. If you wouldn't want to risk wasting them or losing them to frost, hold onto them til spring. No plant wants to grow from seed to flower over winter really. You can't grow indoors?

Nacho, that is kind of what I was thinking, but I know people can do some crazy things with plant genetics. I don't have loads of Auto seeds, so I will probably just hold and wait till spring.

The only reason I dont grow indoor is money. I would like too, I just cant get myself to buy lights when we have the sun. But if I do want to grow during winter, looks like I need to invest!

Hi I am new on the forum and am finishing up my first grow of Big Bomb Autoflower. I grew two plants using a mix of compost, potting soil, vermiculite and pumice in a 7-gal smartpot. They both turned out pretty small (Approx. 14 inches) but the buds fattened up nicely and am hoping I get some decent bud. I also used the LST technique on one and it looked like a completely different plant as it matured, and grew several new colas (compared to my other plant with one main cola, and two very small colas). Enough about my current grow, my question is regarding growing Autoflowers during the winter months.

I live in the US (northern California) and have fairly mild winters. We do not get snow where I live, but we will get the occasional frost in December-early February and the average temperature is around 60 degrees Fahrenheit. During the shortest days of the year, we are receiving approx. 9 hours of sun per day. If I were to start a grow in November and grow in these conditions would it be worth my time? Or would I need to build a small green house that I could hang a light in for supplemental lighting during the cold months?

I am posting here because I have been doing research for a few months and have not been successful in tracking down any information regarding this. if someone could help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.

Heres some photos of my first autoflower grow outdoors. (also my first grow ever)
PXL_20201008_153345923.jpg
PXL_20201008_153339526.jpg

Sure mate it is expensive indoors and once you start there's always something more to buy. I'd grow outdoors if I could for that reason, but not over winter. You can do whatever you want with plant genetics but they're always gonna need plenty of light :smokeit:
Soil mix sounds great by the way

Am in Nor-Cal. I stop growing outside from end of October to beginning of May usually. The low temps slow growth drastically, the moisture levels unpredictable can ruin a grow, low light hrs and lots of overcast days really don't do well.

If you have a greenhouse, and can regulate rH, maybe.

Know it's not exactly what you want to hear, but most of the growers around me that I know (sf to Medford Or) move indoor when fall hits, or only run the standard season outside and make up for it by running higher #s.

Sure mate it is expensive indoors and once you start there's always something more to buy. I'd grow outdoors if I could for that reason, but not over winter. You can do whatever you want with plant genetics but they're always gonna need plenty of light :smokeit:
Soil mix sounds great by the way
yes, thats why I am trying to stay away from indoor, but im sure its bound to happen sooner or later. thanks for the insight, cheers!

Am in Nor-Cal. I stop growing outside from end of October to beginning of May usually. The low temps slow growth drastically, the moisture levels unpredictable can ruin a grow, low light hrs and lots of overcast days really don't do well.

If you have a greenhouse, and can regulate rH, maybe.

Know it's not exactly what you want to hear, but most of the growers around me that I know (sf to Medford Or) move indoor when fall hits, or only run the standard season outside and make up for it by running higher #s.

thanks for the advice, the last thing I want is to ruin a grow I worked hard on..

Back