Indoor First week with skyline 1000

@herbalistssword :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:

IMPO - I know that a lot of growers swear by it and their proof is the fact that many plants survive the technique but unless seeds are old or have been stored poorly soaking seeds is not needed and can drown them. Then because they need the instant gratification of seeing the tap root they germinate them in paper towels. If you look at a tap root under 200x magnification you will see the “root hairs” that grow laterally out from the tap root. These become the plant’s uptake roots. They will grow into the fibers of the paper towels and are ripped off every time the seedling is move or the towel is opened – ouch. This opens the seed to secondary infections.Then when transplanting it is very easy to bump the tap root tip and damage it or kill the seedling – Why?

Put the fresh or properly stored seed ½” deep in a Rapid Rooter, Root Riot, rock wool cube or similar or right in the soil. Don’t use Jiffy peat pots the PH is too low. Keep moist – not wet, and ~80°F, 60% humidity with your blue (veg) lights on and they will germinate if viable. I use 25% strength week one nutrients with a little kelp to moisten my starter cubes. Most strains will germinate in 5 to 7 days. Some strains take longer than others. The African sativas can take 21+ days so be patient. If your seeds are not fresh or have been stored poorly an 8 hour soak in a weak kelp solution can encourage germination. Kelp has natural Gibberellic acid GA3 which is a growth stimulator.

5 plus year old seeds require special treatment. As the seeds age the outer shell becomes denser making it harder for water to penetrate and stimulate the growth. A slight scuff on a piece of super fine sand paper or the striker on a match book will cut into the surface of the shell. The idea is to make sure the seed gets enough water inside before it drowns. A few minute rinse in H202 will sanitize the outside of the seed. Then proceed as above.

I cannot find the all important spectrum and PPFD footprint for the light you are considering. I would shop around some more. I think you can do better for less. Take a look at Mars Hydro.

Hey @Mañ'O'Green thanks for checking my grow! I have indeed learnt what you have said the hard way :D

This is only my first indoor grow, and 2nd grow in total. My first grow (outdoor) I just popped the seeds directly in the soil and out of 4 cultivars 1 didn't succeed after 2 attempts. At which point I decided to try the towel and it seemed like a guaranteed way for success so I decided to reuse it again :(

Looking at this grow, the 2 seeds the I didn't use wet towels for actually broke through the soil in 2 days are are looking just as good (and the one I broke in half isn't growing :( ), so definitely won't be doing the towel thing again. I buy seeds new couple of weeks from reputable breeders so should be ok just popping them in the soil (I'm going to try the biotabs starter kits next time).

Thanks for the advice about the lights, I already bought the skyline 1000 after looking at reviews and other grow diaries posted here (@Teetee got > 500g of lovely looking bud with 400W of these https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...utch-passion-goodies-with-skyline-leds.65982/ ), so I'm expecting good things really happy with it so far (not that I am an expert) but looks well built, made from strong lights and best of all is the great customer service. Don't think I will regret this they already managed to get 2 seeds to pop out in 2 days :D There is a lot of technical stuff I don't understand on this page https://ledhydroponics.co.uk/product/sky-1000/

Thanks again, appreciate you taking the time to look and give feedback.

Hey @Mañ'O'Green thanks for checking my grow! I have indeed learnt what you have said the hard way :D

This is only my first indoor grow, and 2nd grow in total. My first grow (outdoor) I just popped the seeds directly in the soil and out of 4 cultivars 1 didn't succeed after 2 attempts. At which point I decided to try the towel and it seemed like a guaranteed way for success so I decided to reuse it again :(

Looking at this grow, the 2 seeds the I didn't use wet towels for actually broke through the soil in 2 days are are looking just as good (and the one I broke in half isn't growing :( ), so definitely won't be doing the towel thing again. I buy seeds new couple of weeks from reputable breeders so should be ok just popping them in the soil (I'm going to try the biotabs starter kits next time).

Thanks for the advice about the lights, I already bought the skyline 1000 after looking at reviews and other grow diaries posted here (@Teetee got > 500g of lovely looking bud with 400W of these https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...utch-passion-goodies-with-skyline-leds.65982/ ), so I'm expecting good things really happy with it so far (not that I am an expert) but looks well built, made from strong lights and best of all is the great customer service. Don't think I will regret this they already managed to get 2 seeds to pop out in 2 days :D There is a lot of technical stuff I don't understand on this page https://ledhydroponics.co.uk/product/sky-1000/

Thanks again, appreciate you taking the time to look and give feedback.
Well you can have seed failures no matter which method you use but I personally believe you get better plants by planting right in the ground when ever you can.

Yes that is the technical data I was looking for on your light. I am currently running the ChilLed Growcraft 500w. The spectrum is red heavy for bloom. so I add a couple of blue pucks in veg. your lights look to be a bit blue heavy. You may want to add a red puck in flower?

ScreenHunter_298 Sep. 14 20.29.jpg
ScreenHunter_298 Sep. 14 20.27.jpg

1.5gpw is a possible yield. It looks like @Teetee has 4 - 400watt lights plus some others in the tent but I did not read to see what he used. I have more light fixtures in my space than I use at one time.

It looks like you are off to the races. :greenthumb:

Back