First Time Grower Needs Help!

Reaction score
Cheers to everyone. I am a first time grower (cannabis or anything else), and I am excited to have found this site. I currently have 14 seedling that are 11 days old and experiencing problems. A couple of the plants have leaves that look dried out and dying, and others are curled with enhanced veins. Details are as follows:

Medium: Coco/Perlite 60/40
Supplements: GH Flora series, following feed schedule from Coco For Cannabis website
Water: RO
Strain and Age: Northern Lights and Critical Purple-- 11 days
Light: Viparspectra P1500 at 25 inches
Climate: Daytime 75-80 F 65% RH, Nighttime 68-70F 70% RH

Additional Info: I noticed some twisted leaves two days ago and suspected a calcium deficiency. I have been fertigating twice per day with 50 ml of nutrient solution per plant. So I added a 3rd feed (one day only) with Cal/Mag water (EC 1000 PH 6.3). I also started a Cal/Mag foliar spray once per day. Initially this appeared to help, but then this morning looks much worse. Last night I switched from the Coco For Cannabis seedling blend (EC 1000 PH 6.1) to Early Veg (EC 1100 PH 6.1).

At this point I am not sure if the problem is calcium deficiency, nute burn, or heat stress. Photo 1 shows the dried wilting leaves. Photo 6 shows curling leaf. Photo 9 shows leaf discoloration.

Any advice or insight that anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Photo01.jpg
Photo01.jpg
Photo06.jpg
Photo06.jpgPhoto01.jpgPhoto06.jpgPhoto09.jpgPhoto10.jpgPhoto11.jpgPhoto12.jpgPhoto01.jpgPhoto06.jpgPhoto09.jpgPhoto10.jpgPhoto11.jpgPhoto12.jpg

Attachments

• Photo11.jpg
    Photo11.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
Congrats on starting the learning process! It moves fast, and you're getting a crash course in it right now! The first question that comes to mind is "what was/is the plan here?" 14 seeds.. In solo cups that are half filled with coco... Is this a solo cup grow?
If you've never grown anything before, I would advise to post here or ask questions before you self diagnose and treat your plants. I'm pretty sure there was never a calcium deficiency. Especially this early on.. I'm also sure that those seedlings are shocked, stunted, and experiencing nutrient lock outs. 1000 ppms is too high for a 5 gallon pot, let alone a half filled solo cup. There are a few things you can try, but as a new grower, those same things might make it a little worse.. You can try to flush them and transplant them into bigger pots and feed at a ppm around 3-400 for this stage of growth.. I think you just happened to pick one of the hardest grow styles for your 1st grow.. Coco, in solo cups, is not an easy task. So I guess it all depends on your plans.. If this is a solo cup grow, I'd scrap about half of them and start more.. If you plan to transplant, I'd flush the solo cups 1st and then transplant. And that would happen asap. If you don't have seeds to spare, then keep all the plants alive and try to learn as much as you can from this. There are too many nutrient issues with each plant to just try to pick one issue and correct it. It would take some sort of reset.. Either flushing or completely starting over. Either way, we'll be here to help.

If you've never grown anything in anything I'd learn to grow in soil first to be absolutely honest.. not all will agree but just something to think about.. yields aren't what they are in coco but soil is so much more forgiving.. ive grown in soil for around 7/8 years in everything from solo cups to 16L fabric pots.. and never even measured Ph.. again I'm not sayin that's right or wrong but I can say it's basic easy stress free growing with good results.. heres a sticky fingers auto in a solo cup..in soil..
20210202_092051.jpg

If you've never grown anything in anything I'd learn to grow in soil first to be absolutely honest.. not all will agree but just something to think about.. yields aren't what they are in coco but soil is so much more forgiving.. ive grown in soil for around 7/8 years in everything from solo cups to 16L fabric pots.. and never even measured Ph.. again I'm not sayin that's right or wrong but I can say it's basic easy stress free growing with good results.. heres a sticky fingers auto in a solo cup..in soil..
View attachment 1290292
Thanks for the input. Maybe a thought for future grows, but obviously too late for that now.

Congrats on starting the learning process! It moves fast, and you're getting a crash course in it right now! The first question that comes to mind is "what was/is the plan here?" 14 seeds.. In solo cups that are half filled with coco... Is this a solo cup grow?
If you've never grown anything before, I would advise to post here or ask questions before you self diagnose and treat your plants. I'm pretty sure there was never a calcium deficiency. Especially this early on.. I'm also sure that those seedlings are shocked, stunted, and experiencing nutrient lock outs. 1000 ppms is too high for a 5 gallon pot, let alone a half filled solo cup. There are a few things you can try, but as a new grower, those same things might make it a little worse.. You can try to flush them and transplant them into bigger pots and feed at a ppm around 3-400 for this stage of growth.. I think you just happened to pick one of the hardest grow styles for your 1st grow.. Coco, in solo cups, is not an easy task. So I guess it all depends on your plans.. If this is a solo cup grow, I'd scrap about half of them and start more.. If you plan to transplant, I'd flush the solo cups 1st and then transplant. And that would happen asap. If you don't have seeds to spare, then keep all the plants alive and try to learn as much as you can from this. There are too many nutrient issues with each plant to just try to pick one issue and correct it. It would take some sort of reset.. Either flushing or completely starting over. Either way, we'll be here to help.
Thanks for the feedback. No, it is not a solo cup challenge. My plan is to repot to 1 gallon fabric pots within the next two days, and then to 5 gallon fabric pots as the final pot (12 of the 14, 12 is the legal limit to grow where I live. The extra 2 seeds are for insurance.) Important to note, I am not feeding 1000 PPM--it is an EC (electrical conductivity) of 1000 which is approximately 500 PPM. I suspected that I may have increased The EC a little too quickly. How would you propose that I proceed given the above information?

Thanks for the feedback. No, it is not a solo cup challenge. My plan is to repot to 1 gallon fabric pots within the next two days, and then to 5 gallon fabric pots as the final pot (12 of the 14, 12 is the legal limit to grow where I live. The extra 2 seeds are for insurance.) Important to note, I am not feeding 1000 PPM--it is an EC (electrical conductivity) of 1000 which is approximately 500 PPM. I suspected that I may have increased The EC a little too quickly. How would you propose that I proceed given the above information?
If they are autos, i'd flush them, get them out of the solo cups and into their final pots asap. I'd skip the 1 gallon pot and cut out the calmag. I wouldn't touch calmag until I know how nutrients work and counter each other. 1.0 ec or 500ppm is still too high for half filled solo cups, especially more than once a day.. Autos do not have recovery times.. Always keep that in mind.. The grow guide you're following is probably made for photo period plants and not autos..

Agree with the statement that you're overfeeding in way too little medium. Right now you could cut the EC in half.

I would skip the 1 gal transplant and move straight from Solo cups after 14-16 days to 5 gals.
12 plants for a first time grower is quite an adventure!
Good luck! :pass: :cheers:

Back