First time grower doing autoflower outdoor

Reaction score
The Beginning
I bought 3 Strawberry Banana feminized photoperiod seeds from a seedman. They failed to deliver the initial batch of seeds, but sent me another batch with tons of complimentary seeds from different strains. This batch took more than a month and it was already late too late in the season to grow photoperiod seeds, but luckily they through in some autoflowers for me to experiment on.

I decided to germinate two seeds (purple punch auto and banana kush auto). I used the paper towel method to germinate them. They rooted after two days, which I then planted into 12 ounce party cups using Fox Farm's Happy Frog, which is probably considered to rich for a seedling. I also messed up and didn't label them so now I'm uncertain which is which. After three days they sprouted on July 12, 2021.

Trouble
Two weeks later one of them started showing signs of being male. They were both labeled auto-feminized, but I got these for free so I can't really complain. I didn't kill the male right away, but instead waited for some of the pollen sacks to open, which took about a week. I extracted some pollen before pulling it out from it's roots and wrapped it in a bag then threw it away. I might consider pollinating a cola from the other plant later on to produce some more autoflowers.

Transplanting
A few days later I decided to transplant the remaining plant into a five gallon fabric pot using roughly 75% Fox Farm's Oceanic Forest and 25% perlite. I later found out it's considered a no-no to transplant an auto since they don't rebound from stress as easy as a photoperiod. I was very careful and gentile with the process and the plant seems to have handled the transplant very well.

Climate Information
The weather has been pretty consistent ranging from low 80F / 26C to high 92F / 33C during the day and dropping from 65F / 18C to 72F / 22C during the night. Humidity is 35%-45% during the day and rises up to 70%-80% during the night. I reside in Southern California and the climate is considered coastal tropical desert. I feel this information is important when growing outdoors since climates are drastically different based on geography and to give an idea of what this plant is enduring exposed to the elements.

Current Results
It's been four days since the transplant and 21 days since sprouting. It's still vegging and no signs of sex as of yet. Here's some photos I took today. The plant looks pretty healthy to me, but what do you guys think?
IMG_20210802_105107.jpg

IMG_20210802_105116.jpg

IMG_20210802_105740.jpg

Suggestions on Nutrients
Starting off, I've been using distilled water and I haven't been measuring PH. I just switched to tap water a few days ago. I also ordered some 3-stage nutrients from General Hydroponics and some PH strips with PH up and PH down because I'm going to start balancing the PH of the tap water if needed. I don't think I'll be using any nutrients for at least 30 days, since the Oceanic Forest is already packed with nutrients, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on nutrient intake. I would also appreciate some books I can read about nutrient intake to get a better understanding.

Last edited:
Plants look good me. While I defer to much more experienced soil growers, I have done enough in that area to state that pH of your water is important. You will have trouble getting a stable pH with distilled. Consider dechlorinated tap and get a good pH pen (I use Bluelab FWIW) as strips are not very accurate in my experience.

From what I've read, you should be able to at least get through veg with FFHF but take that with a grain of salt.

since they don't rebound from stress as easy as a photoperiod

Actually, they rebound just fine. The issue is that the clock is ticking on veg - whether they are growing, rebounding, or something else. With photos you can fix the issue, let them rebound, and then flip - problem fixed. You don't have that option with autos. That's why the first 3 weeks are crucial - you hit a snag it will effect something (yield, terps, cannabinoids).

IMHO, YMMV, etc.
:pass:

Consider dechlorinated tap and get a good pH pen (I use Bluelab FWIW) as strips are not very accurate in my experience.

I'll definitely invest in a good pH pen in the future, but is there any recommendations for lower-end pH pens on the market or ones I should avoid?

I have used others (Aspera, MI, etc) but would say this is a decision where you should avoid being penny-wise and pound-foolish. I would just get the Bluelab, but opinions may vary. HTH

The Beginning
I bought 3 Strawberry Banana feminized photoperiod seeds from a seedman. They failed to deliver the initial batch of seeds, but sent me another batch with tons of complimentary seeds from different strains. This batch took more than a month and it was already late too late in the season to grow photoperiod seeds, but luckily they through in some autoflowers for me to experiment on.

I decided to germinate two seeds (purple punch auto and banana kush auto). I used the paper towel method to germinate them. They rooted after two days, which I then planted into 12 ounce party cups using Fox Farm's Happy Frog, which is probably considered to rich for a seedling. I also messed up and didn't label them so now I'm uncertain which is which. After three days they sprouted on July 12, 2021.

Trouble
Two weeks later one of them started showing signs of being male. They were both labeled auto-feminized, but I got these for free so I can't really complain. I didn't kill the male right away, but instead waited for some of the pollen sacks to open, which took about a week. I extracted some pollen before pulling it out from it's roots and wrapped it in a bag then threw it away. I might consider pollinating a cola from the other plant later on to produce some more autoflowers.

Transplanting
A few days later I decided to transplant the remaining plant into a five gallon fabric pot using roughly 75% Fox Farm's Oceanic Forest and 25% perlite. I later found out it's considered a no-no to transplant an auto since they don't rebound from stress as easy as a photoperiod. I was very careful and gentile with the process and the plant seems to have handled the transplant very well.

Climate Information
The weather has been pretty consistent ranging from low 80F / 26C to high 92F / 33C during the day and dropping from 65F / 18C to 72F / 22C during the night. Humidity is 35%-45% during the day and rises up to 70%-80% during the night. I reside in Southern California and the climate is considered coastal tropical desert. I feel this information is important when growing outdoors since climates are drastically different based on geography and to give an idea of what this plant is enduring exposed to the elements.

Current Results
It's been four days since the transplant and 21 days since sprouting. It's still vegging and no signs of sex as of yet. Here's some photos I took today. The plant looks pretty healthy to me, but what do you guys think?
View attachment 1350960
View attachment 1350961
View attachment 1350962

Suggestions on Nutrients
Starting off, I've been using distilled water and I haven't been measuring PH. I just switched to tap water a few days ago. I also ordered some 3-stage nutrients from General Hydroponics and some PH strips with PH up and PH down because I'm going to start balancing the PH of the tap water if needed. I don't think I'll be using any nutrients for at least 30 days, since the Oceanic Forest is already packed with nutrients, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on nutrient intake. I would also appreciate some books I can read about nutrient intake to get a better understanding.

heya @Legended and :welcome: to afn! :toke: ur girlz look good & anything u need, jus give a holler :thumbsup:

ppp & :goodluck:

:420:

Back