Excluding Hermies, Do Environmental Conditions Affect A Plant's Sex?

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
AC/DC & Cherry Wine hemp
I came across this idea today on some forums & people were talking about it as if it were the gospel. Pretty sure they were talking about photoperiod plants though. I'm a new grower & had heard about how hermie bananas can form due to heat/light stress, but the idea that things like heat, humidity & nutrients can affect whether a plant is fully male or female never crossed my mind. It almost sounds like pseudoscience...but is it?

Is there any proof that this is a thing? I always assumed a plant's sex was determined genetically from the time the seed was formed along with its other genetic traits (Indica/Sativa, strain, etc). If there's any way to influence this by altering growing conditions, I'd really like to know considering I have seeds of unknown sex. Does heat/light stress increase the chance of having a male? Does higher humidity early on produce more females?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but inquiring minds want to know! :chimp:

if you exclude hermi's... no, I don't think so.
otherwise you would often see clones getting a different sex, and with all the clone-only strains around, it would've been widely known.

but hermi's definitely do have an environmental component(but also with a genetic basis, some will easily hermi, others you can stress a lot and you'll still see no flowers from the other sex)

I came across this idea today on some forums & people were talking about it as if it were the gospel. Pretty sure they were talking about photoperiod plants though. I'm a new grower & had heard about how hermie bananas can form due to heat/light stress, but the idea that things like heat, humidity & nutrients can affect whether a plant is fully male or female never crossed my mind. It almost sounds like pseudoscience...but is it?

Is there any proof that this is a thing? I always assumed a plant's sex was determined genetically from the time the seed was formed along with its other genetic traits (Indica/Sativa, strain, etc). If there's any way to influence this by altering growing conditions, I'd really like to know considering I have seeds of unknown sex. Does heat/light stress increase the chance of having a male? Does higher humidity early on produce more females?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but inquiring minds want to know! :chimp:

So that is a pretty deep question actually. The short answer is that any form of stress that disrupts the flower transition, or meristematic hormones and DNA/RNA responsible for flower parts can cause hermaphroditic traits to form. It is most common when flowers are destroyed by heat stress. The flower morphology in a Auto is the same as in photo, what is changed is the trigger to start flower. So heat stress at flowers should effect either type of cannabis the same. Heat stress at the leaves should delay flower transition in a photo, but not in an auto because the daylight clock and flower trigger starts in the leaves in a photo plant.

A plant next to a lot of fruit will change sex to because a cannabis plants sex is determined not by sex chromosome but chemical balance. All cannabis is hermaphrodite on a genetic scale.

Hi Friends
I got this information from Mowgli from phylos galaxy, they encrypt the DNA of cannabis and started to map them in their Galaxy.

Cannabis has an XX / XY sex determination system. Creepily similar to humans.

cu tobe

Yep it's alarming how many humans are hermaphrodite. I read a report on the history of the Y chromosome and it's coming from a mutation from genetic bottleneck. It's a interesting subject that as had me fascinated for decades now. Cannabis is full blown hermaphrodite with no true Y chromosome from what I remember on the subject. Male/female is not real to the point science does not recognise cannabis as having a sex chromosome.

:thumbsup::coffee::vibe: :hookah: Deep intresting subject that's me lost for a day :coffee2:

Cannabis is the Seahorse of the plant world. Gotta love it. Just don't go kill a seahorse and smoke it! That's not how any of this works!

[emoji848][emoji23][emoji111]
I hope your not speaking from experience :pass:

The chromosome Y in cannabis is when expressed is described as a expansion not a dominant because it can always revert back. In humans ect it can't because it's dominant over the x chromosome. Nature's little miracle.

Back