Lighting Email With A Lighting Manufacturer

Death The Cultivator

Pondering the Mysteries of High Pressure Aeroponic
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
La Buena Hierba Panama Haze
I had reached out to an Australian company who provided some insight that might be valuable to anyone looking to buy or build their next light.

One of the great growing myths is that you need more blue light in veg. This is a carry-over from the days when everyone was growing under HPS. HPS has very little blue light and no UV light, and so plants would often stretch during the vegetative stage compared to being grown under MH, which does have UV and higher amounts of blue light. However, even though plants stretched more under HPS, they actually grew faster due to the higher amount of orange/red and far red light that promotes growth. Blue, violet and UV light simply counter the shade-avoidance response in plants that causes them to stretch under higher levels of far red light.

We have combined a higher amount of red and far red light for growth with the optimum amount of blue, violet, and UVA light to counter stretch. Whilst the current spectrum is 3000K and will stretch slightly more than under 5000K etc, it will grow faster and healthier. We first noticed this when building vegetative strip lighting using Samsung diodes that the 4000K LEDs outperformed the 5000K and had fewer health issues due to the reduced amount of blue light. Too much blue can cause prolonged stomatal opening in response to leaf temperature rises, as the chloroplasts can only absorb so much blue light before it starts to build up as heat. This often leads to lighter coloured leaves, yellowing and red stems (caused by pigments that build up as part of the plant’s stress response) due to light stress and an imbalance of calcium, magnesium and potassium due to over-transpiration. A lot of growers would report problems in growth that went away in flower when the only thing that changed was the light (they were still using the same nutrient formula in the first two weeks of flower). It was through this we discovered than the 5000K LEDs – which have 33% or more blue light – were doing more harm than good.

This is all a long way of saying that LEDs have enough blue in them already to counter stretch and benefit from higher amounts of red – which is why we have seen better results from 3000-4000K than we have with 5000K. In addition to this, our High Light 420 boards have 0.5% UVA and around 5% light from 400-440nm which other LEDs do not have, meaning our 3000K lights cause less stretch than other 3000K LEDs.

Changed my mind on some things like Shade Avoidance though I will inquire about the effects of green. Then there is the bit about Kelvin colors.

@Olderfart @Mañ'O'Green @elcoloan

I had reached out to an Australian company who provided some insight that might be valuable to anyone looking to buy or build their next light.

Changed my mind on some things like Shade Avoidance though I will inquire about the effects of green. Then there is the bit about Kelvin colors.

Looks like some Bro-Science mixed in with good science. It is no secret you move from blue to red spectrum to flower. Green light science is getting more attention over the last few years. It just seems logical that plants would evolve to use it for something.

I’m running 4000k at the moment, been very happy with the vegetative growth and bud production so far

I've seen a video with Bruce B where he talks about spectrum. From what I gathered he summed it up, or at least what I picked up from it was- "plants don't care too much about the blue".

Now that doesn't mean the GROWER doesn't. I use blue to shorten the height of plants in veg, so they will fit in the tent if they are supposed to be large plants. Especially during a long veg period.

If I keep my tent in the right zones (heat/rh) then I don't care about supposed "heat buildup" because even with a little build up, it wouldn't be anything that really effects it.

Like everything, in moderation.

Anyways, my basic point is, that for a grower with 14 foot ceilings, who gives a shit about stretch (to some extent), but for my tent, I'm still using blue to help control height. Its much simpler than LST, Topping, Super Cropping etc... or really forcing something late in flower because you're out of room.

That's my .02, no science degree behind it :crying:

Fascinating, thanks for the tag. I think I might go downstairs and bend things more toward 2700K...

I've seen a video with Bruce B where he talks about spectrum. From what I gathered he summed it up, or at least what I picked up from it was- "plants don't care too much about the blue".
Agree. Another interesting item was his rationale for including green in an LED spectrum. He stated that green was needed to allow growers to ID issues with the plants. I was listening pretty closely but I don't recall him providing any commentary on how plants use green light.

Now that doesn't mean the GROWER doesn't. I use blue to shorten the height of plants in veg, so they will fit in the tent if they are supposed to be large plants. Especially during a long veg period.
Dr. Bugbee stated shaping the plant to be the main function/primary use for blue light with cannabis. I don't recall him saying that cannabis would grow "better" with blue light, only that blue light "is used" to create a shorter, bushier plant. I'd love to have transcripts of his videos rather than having to plough through them.
That's my .02, no science degree behind it :crying:
No science degree doesn't mean that you're not following the scientific method. Isaac Newton had a BA and was an undistinguished student yet four years later he was a professor of mathematics and went on to make huge discoveries and contributions in a variety of fields. When we "try something different", document it, and share those results - those are primary components of the scientific method.

Back