Lighting Electric Sky ES 180 V2 DIY

MI_sterGreen

Shibby
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Fastbuds Smoothie and Delicious Seed Delicious Candy
I have an Electric Sky ES 180 and am going to do a DIY conversion to the V2 diodes. Its simply a matter of changing out the diode strips themselves. The driver stays the same. Once they arrive, I plan on doing a full build with photos and info for anyone interested. Not sure how many people use Electric Sky models, but hopefully this will help if anyone else wants to upgrade their V1.

Matt at Green Sunshine Company, the producer of the light was super helpful. Gave me a link with all the info and instructions for the DIY kit. Even gave me a 30% off code!!! The total cost of the upgrade shipped to me was $83 dollars. For that price how could I say no :yay:.

Hopefully I will have the parts soon. I might start with some disassembly posts before the parts show up

Incase you screw up. They're gonna have a killer sale within a few days

Decided to tear into my light. Its not being used currently, so why not?

Start by taking off the end caps. 4mm allen (hex) head screws.
20201120_210602.jpg

Next, slide the center panel out of the light. Pretty impressed that the center piece is made from glass. Not a super common material in grow lights.
20201120_211648.jpg

Now, disconnect the diode strips from the grey plastic wago connectors. Very impressed with the quality of the leads on these strips. Nice fabric sheathing on the leads for the strips. Very clean soldering on the leads as well.
20201120_212355.jpg

Now the part thats somewhat tough. You have to carefully slide the diode strips out from their slots in the heatsink. They're all soldered together, so you have to pull them out equally at the same time.
20201120_212730.jpg

So far, very impressed with the guts of this light. Glad to see quality still does exist.

did you ever get it done? I have an ed 300 V2 and I think you can upgrade to the three now

did you ever get it done? I have an ed 300 V2 and I think you can upgrade to the three now
Yes I did get it finished. It works great so far. I was pretty salty with electric sky because I specifically asked if they were going to drop a new light or upgrade soon. They replied saying there wasn't anything they could confirm of a new V3 coming out. Week after I upgraded to V2 they drop the V3. :finger:

Back