Extraction Edible Fudge Recipes!

Reaction score
I thought I would include some recipes for some Fudge I have been making..it has gone down really well with friends so thought why not share them on here! I have tried to make fudge for years until I found a recipe which works for me and I have adapted it over around 10 batches to get right. I have given the recipe to others and its worked straight off the bat so should be good for you guys!

I have included any simple calculations for the cannabutter and dosage for people so you can adjust as you want!

One thing I will note is you need a couple of hours free to cook up the fudge. You need to heat the mixture on a low heat so can take a while to reach the desired temperature then there is a fairly long cooling period between cooking and actually mixing the fudge.

Cannabutter
To start off you need to make some incredibly strong/concentrated butter...i used around 36 grams of dry bud in around 200 grams of butter. Using an estimated 15% THC content this was around 5400mg of THC within the 200g of butter.

36g x 1000 = 36,000mg

15% of 36,000mg = 36,000 x 0.15 = 5,400mg.

So every gram of butter used had around 27mg of THC.

I will include how I make my Cannabutter...

Butter

Ingredients
200g Butter
Half Pint of Water
36g of Dried Bud (Doesnt have to be cured as your just stripping it of the THC. People may say otherwise. Ive done it with cured and non-cured bud and its come out the same)

Steps

Step 1) Preheat Oven to 105-110°C

Step 2) Take your dried bud, chop or grind it up into small pieces. I found grinding helped or made the butter stronger when I made my last batch. Could just be the bud I used was better though.

Step 3) Lay down some tin foil and place all the bud evenly across it. Fold the tin foil around the bud to create a small package/parcel/envelope that is sealed.

Step 4) Place in the oven for 30-45 minutes to decarb fully.

Step 5) Remove the bud from the oven and place to one side so it can cool. Start to melt the butter in a pan and once melted add the water and the bud (tin foil should have cooled to touch it)

Step 6) Simmer on a low heat for an hour or so. I usually let it simmer and go eat dinner and keep myself busy whilst checking every 5-10 minutes. You can add more water if required.

Step 7) Remove from heat and strain the liquid through a strainer or cheese cloth into a pot of your choice. I use a 450ml tuppawear pot which has a lid and can be stored in the fridge. I prefer to use a fine strainer myself over cheesecloth whereas others say different. I then Squeeze all the butter and juice out of the strained material to yield as much as possible.

Step 8) Let the mixture chill before placing in the fridge. The next morning the butter and water should have seperated leaving the button on top. You will need to somehow remove the butter and drain the liquid. You will be left with the cannabutter which should be a greeny/brown colour and should smell a fair bit!

Fudge
The basic recipe and utensils required for the fudges are as follows and I will show how I adapted them to create different flavours...

Utensils/Equipment

Sugar Thermometer (needs to let you know when it reaches 116°C or softball stage)
Big Pot (trust me you need a big one, i think mines probably 20-25L / 4-5 Gallon)
Large Square/Rectangle Baking Trays (I will find out the size of mine later when im home)
Spoons to Stir
Measuring Jugs
Scales
Baking/Grease proof Paper

Ingredients

750g of Caster Sugar
225ml Liquid Glucose
420ml Double Cream
600g Chocolate
100g Cannabutter
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence

Now the above recipe makes a lot of fudge...usually i split the base mix into 2 portions and use 50g of cannabutter with one batch and use 50g of normal butter (my parents love the fudge so let them have some normal fudge to indulge on). Half that mixture makes around 36 cubes of fudge so 50g of my butter makes them around 37.5mg a portion.

50g x 27mg = 1350mg Total

1350mg / 36 Cubes = 37.5mg Each

Fudge Base Recipe

Step 1) Combine the Caster Sugar, Liquid Glucose and Double Cream into the large pan. I say you need a large pan as when it starts to boil and get near to 100°C it will really blow up in size and you dont want it to overflow (its a pain to clean!). Heat this mixture on a very low heat, you do have to be patient, it will take a while around 30-45 minutes but it could take longer. I constantly stir throughout the process.

Step 2) Keep heating the mixture until softball stage is reached. You can tell this by using your sugar thermometer which should read 113-118°C. If you live in a high humidity area you will probably need to reach the upper limit, i cook mine to around 117/118°C. This is to remove moisture from the mix and for the sugar particles to crystallise (theres a lot of science involved in fudge for any nerdy people like me in there!)

Step 3) Once this temperature has been reached make sure its even throughout, i kinda stir mixture with the thermometer to make sure its even throughout as some parts of the pan could be a lot lower in temperature. This also makes sure that the correct temperature has been reached through rather than half the mixture being slightly below softball which would result in your fudge not setting! Now this temperature has been reached remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool. At this point its easiest to split the mixture if you wanted to make 2 different flavours or make a non-medicinal batch!

Step 4) When the mixture or mixtures have cooled (your supposed to let the mixture reach around 45-55°C but i just let it cool for around 20-30 minutes) mix in the chocolate which can be chopped into smaller pieces, vanilla essence and the cannabutter. This can be hard to mix in so get a good whisk or do it with an electric whisk/mixer (makes life a LOT easier using an electric mixer!)

Step 5) Pour into baking tins lined with a non stick/greaseproof paper and allow to set. This should happen at room temperature but I put mine in the fridge as I prefer it cold. Once set cut into how ever many cubes you want! I store in air tight containers in my fridge and it lasts months!

Now that makes a basic recipe...the different flavours/recipes ive developed can be found below!

White Chocolate and Oreo Fudge

600g White Chocolate
1/2 Packs of Oreos

I mix in the white chocolate as mentioned in the recipe above. When the mixture is poured into the baking trays I then push oreos into the mixture. When its cut into cubes you get all sorts of amounts of Oreos in the portions so put as many as you see fit.

White Chocolate and Strawberry Cheesecake Oreo Fudge
600g White Chocolate
1/2 Packs of Strawberry Cheesecake Oreos

Exactly the same as above but with a bit of a different flavour.

Dark Chocolate and Pistachio
300g Milk CHocolate
300g Dark Chocolate (85% Cocoa)
Chopped Pistachios

Same as above and you can mix the pistachio's into the mix before pouring, i then sprinkle some on top.

Gold Bar Style Fudge (for the UK heads who like gold bars)

Probably not something anyone has come across but it makes good fudge!

300g Caramac Chocolate
300g White Chocolate
Shortbread Fingers/Biscuits

Exactly the same principle as the oreo fudge, add as much shortbread as you want!

Chocolate Orange Fudge

450g Chocolate Orange (I used terrys chocolate oranges as they were on sale)
150g Milk Chocolate
Additional Chocolate Orange to decorate and put into the fudge.
Caramalised Mixed Peel

Same as above! i sprinkled the caramalised mixed peel on top of the fudge but you can mix it in before pouring.

PS...if anyone thinks I can add some more information or make it clearer let me know and I will edit!

Also these are using uk ingredients...i always find our chocolate is very different so im hoping this doesnt alter the tastes massively..

Last edited:
I thought I would include some recipes for some Fudge I have been making..it has gone down really well with friends so thought why not share them on here! I have tried to make fudge for years until I found a recipe which works for me and I have adapted it over around 10 batches to get right. I have given the recipe to others and its worked straight off the bat so should be good for you guys!

I have included any simple calculations for the cannabutter and dosage for people so you can adjust as you want!

One thing I will note is you need a couple of hours free to cook up the fudge. You need to heat the mixture on a low heat so can take a while to reach the desired temperature then there is a fairly long cooling period between cooking and actually mixing the fudge.

Cannabutter
To start off you need to make some incredibly strong/concentrated butter...i used around 36 grams of dry bud in around 200 grams of butter. Using an estimated 15% THC content this was around 5400mg of THC within the 200g of butter.

36g x 1000 = 36,000mg

Butter

Ingredients
200g Butter
Half Pint of Water
36g of Dried Bud (Doesnt have to be cured as your just stripping it of the THC. People may say otherwise. Ive done it with cured and non-cured bud and its come out the same)

Steps

Step 2) Take your dried bud, chop or grind it up into small pieces. I found grinding helped or made the butter stronger when I made my last batch. Could just be the bud I used was better though.

Step 3) Lay down some tin foil and place all the bud evenly across it. Fold the tin foil around the bud to create a small package/parcel/envelope that is sealed.

Step 5) Remove the bud from the oven and place to one side so it can cool. Start to melt the butter in a pan and once melted add the water and the bud (tin foil should have cooled to touch it)

Step 6) Simmer on a low heat for an hour or so. I usually let it simmer and go eat dinner and keep myself busy whilst checking every 5-10 minutes. You can add more water if required.

Step 7) Remove from heat and strain the liquid through a strainer or cheese cloth into a pot of your choice. I use a 450ml tuppawear pot which has a lid and can be stored in the fridge. I prefer to use a fine strainer myself over cheesecloth whereas others say different. I then Squeeze all the butter and juice out of the strained material to yield as much as possible.

Step 8) Let the mixture chill before placing in the fridge. The next morning the butter and water should have seperated leaving the button on top. You will need to somehow remove the butter and drain the liquid. You will be left with the cannabutter which should be a greeny/brown colour and should smell a fair bit!

Fudge
The basic recipe and utensils required for the fudges are as follows and I will show how I adapted them to create different flavours...

Utensils/Equipment

Sugar Thermometer (needs to let you know when it reaches 116°C or softball stage)
Big Pot (trust me you need a big one, i think mines probably 20-25L / 4-5 Gallon)
Large Square/Rectangle Baking Trays (I will find out the size of mine later when im home)
Spoons to Stir
Measuring Jugs
Scales

Ingredients

750g of Caster Sugar
225ml Liquid Glucose
420ml Double Cream
600g Chocolate
100g Cannabutter

Now the above recipe makes a lot of fudge...usually i split the base mix into 2 portions and use 50g of cannabutter with one batch and use 50g of normal butter (my parents love the fudge so let them have some normal fudge to indulge on). Half that mixture makes around 36 cubes of fudge so 50g of my butter makes them around 37.5mg a portion.

Fudge Base Recipe

Step 1) Combine the Caster Sugar, Liquid Glucose and Double Cream into the large pan. I say you need a large pan as when it starts to boil and get near to 100°C it will really blow up in size and you dont want it to overflow (its a pain to clean!). Heat this mixture on a very low heat, you do have to be patient, it will take a while around 30-45 minutes but it could take longer. I constantly stir throughout the process.

Step 2) Keep heating the mixture until softball stage is reached. You can tell this by using your sugar thermometer which should read 113-118°C. If you live in a high humidity area you will probably need to reach the upper limit, i cook mine to around 117/118°C. This is to remove moisture from the mix and for the sugar particles to crystallise (theres a lot of science involved in fudge for any nerdy people like me in there!)

Step 3) Once this temperature has been reached make sure its even throughout, i kinda stir mixture with the thermometer to make sure its even throughout as some parts of the pan could be a lot lower in temperature. This also makes sure that the correct temperature has been reached through rather than half the mixture being slightly below softball which would result in your fudge not setting! Now this temperature has been reached remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool. At this point its easiest to split the mixture if you wanted to make 2 different flavours or make a non-medicinal batch!

Step 4) When the mixture or mixtures have cooled (your supposed to let the mixture reach around 45-55°C but i just let it cool for around 20-30 minutes) mix in the chocolate which can be chopped into smaller pieces, vanilla essence and the cannabutter. This can be hard to mix in so get a good whisk or do it with an electric whisk/mixer (makes life a LOT easier using an electric mixer!)

Step 5) Pour into baking tins lined with a non stick/greaseproof paper and allow to set. This should happen at room temperature but I put mine in the fridge as I prefer it cold. Once set cut into how ever many cubes you want! I store in air tight containers in my fridge and it lasts months!

Now that makes a basic recipe...the different flavours/recipes ive developed can be found below!

600g White Chocolate
1/2 Packs of Oreos

I mix in the white chocolate as mentioned in the recipe above. When the mixture is poured into the baking trays I then push oreos into the mixture. When its cut into cubes you get all sorts of amounts of Oreos in the portions so put as many as you see fit.

600g White Chocolate

300g Milk CHocolate
Chopped Pistachios

Same as above and you can mix the pistachio's into the mix before pouring, i then sprinkle some on top.

300g Caramac Chocolate
300g White Chocolate

Exactly the same principle as the oreo fudge, add as much shortbread as you want!

Chocolate Orange Fudge

450g Chocolate Orange (I used terrys chocolate oranges as they were on sale),
150g Milk Chocolate
Caramalised Mixed Peel
Same as above! i sprinkled the caramalised mixed peel on top of the fudge but you can mix it in before pouring.

The potency of your cannabutter is only about half of what you calculated.

Strained oils/butter are only about 50% efficient according to https://www.leafly.com/news/science...abis-edibles-why-its-nearly-impossible-to-cal
An excerpt:
“For clients that normally extract into dairy butterfat, they discover they only extracted between 40 and 60 percent of the cannabinoids and terpenoids,” explains deCesare. Lena Davidson of Botanica, one of Washington state’s largest edibles producers, puts the estimate even lower, at close to 30 percent

Or this: https://hightimes.com/edibles/ultimate-cannabutter-experiment-results/
Where cannabis chefs also made 50% efficient butter.

There are 2 ways to make use of nearly 100% of the thc, instead of the 50% efficiency of strained oil/butter.
(1) Decarb (240 F for 40 min works well), grind to fine powder, mix into the oil of your recipes. There will be slight herb taste, as small price to pay for double the potency.
(2) Decarb, make FECO using 190 proof ethanol, then add to oil/butter. Unlike oil/butter, ethanol is excellent at extracting cannabinoids.

Cannabutter

36g x 1000 = 36,000mg

Butter

Ingredients
200g Butter
Half Pint of Water

Steps

Fudge

Utensils/Equipment

Spoons to Stir
Measuring Jugs
Scales

Ingredients

750g of Caster Sugar
225ml Liquid Glucose
420ml Double Cream
600g Chocolate
100g Cannabutter

Fudge Base Recipe

600g White Chocolate
1/2 Packs of Oreos

600g White Chocolate

300g Milk CHocolate
Chopped Pistachios

300g Caramac Chocolate
300g White Chocolate

Chocolate Orange Fudge

450g Chocolate Orange (I used terrys chocolate oranges as they were on sale)
150g Milk Chocolate
Caramalised Mixed Peel

Great post @Site
:slap:

The potency of your cannabutter is only about half of what you calculated.

Strained oils/butter are only about 50% efficient according to https://www.leafly.com/news/science...abis-edibles-why-its-nearly-impossible-to-cal
An excerpt:
“For clients that normally extract into dairy butterfat, they discover they only extracted between 40 and 60 percent of the cannabinoids and terpenoids,” explains deCesare. Lena Davidson of Botanica, one of Washington state’s largest edibles producers, puts the estimate even lower, at close to 30 percent

Or this: https://hightimes.com/edibles/ultimate-cannabutter-experiment-results/
Where cannabis chefs also made 50% efficient butter.

There are 2 ways to make use of nearly 100% of the thc, instead of the 50% efficiency of strained oil/butter.
(1) Decarb (240 F for 40 min works well), grind to fine powder, mix into the oil of your recipes. There will be slight herb taste, as small price to pay for double the potency.
(2) Decarb, make FECO using 190 proof ethanol, then add to oil/butter. Unlike oil/butter, ethanol is excellent at extracting cannabinoids.

well that was interesting to read find out...I mean ive guessed the THC percentage at around 15% when most strains ive grown are supposed to be 20% so that may have made up for it a bit but thats scared me to how powerful some of these edibles have been and they are even less of a percentage than i first thought! thanks for the heads up...grinding it up to a fine powder would probably be better, maybe that explains why when ground up first then decarbed the butter seemed to be much stronger than keeping it as larger clumps!

thanks! hopefully people can make some good fudge...even without the cannabutter its a great treat!

well that was interesting to read find out...I mean ive guessed the THC percentage at around 15% when most strains ive grown are supposed to be 20% so that may have made up for it a bit but thats scared me to how powerful some of these edibles have been and they are even less of a percentage than i first thought! thanks for the heads up...grinding it up to a fine powder would probably be better, maybe that explains why when ground up first then decarbed the butter seemed to be much stronger than keeping it as larger clumps!

thanks! hopefully people can make some good fudge...even without the cannabutter its a great treat!

It's a bit more convenient to grind after decarbing. The herb is much less sticky, and won't gum up your grinder.
A fine powder is much better absorbed, but also harder to strain out than chunks.

Don't underestimate the power of adding decarbed herb powder to cookie, brownie, chocolates, etc recipes.
This and FECO mixed into oil make use of nearly 100% of the medicine.
This ad/article changed the way I process herb for edibles: http://www.ardentcannabis.com/education/decarboxylation-myths

It's a bit more convenient to grind after decarbing. The herb is much less sticky, and won't gum up your grinder.
A fine powder is much better absorbed, but also harder to strain out than chunks.

Don't underestimate the power of adding decarbed herb powder to cookie, brownie, chocolates, etc recipes.
This ad/article changed the way I process herb for edibles: http://www.ardentcannabis.com/education/decarboxylation-myths

im definitely gonna look into this next time i make some edibles! appreciate the heads up i got some reading to do this weekend!

For a less messy less smelly process, try decarbing and infusing in a turkey roasting bag.

Rather than a separate decarb step, I keep my fat infusion in a hot bath for a long time- like overnight or longer in a crock-pot.

I find that I get the decarb, and I preserve more of the other wonderful chemicals that could be destroyed by drying out in high heat.

The machine might be accurate, but their marketing department's claims are not!

The act of burning or vaporizing decarboxylates cannabinoids. There are time/heat points where THC and other cannabinoids begin to degrade.

They also claim it will "create the perfect decarb conditions for any variety or form of botanicals" In other words, sounding like every chemical decarboxylates, and at the same rate/temperature, and that all botanicals need to be "activated".

Personally, if I were going to spend US$210 plus shipping, I would get a sous vide for the accuracy, and make gourmet meals as well.

Back