Indoor DWC, Lucas Formula, Super Skunk, Bubblelicious & Blue Cheese

Reaction score
First grow in several years and had trouble getting beans to sprout. I must have forgotten something as I didn't have this problem when I was growing regularly. In any case I ended up with two bubblelicious (my favorite sleep medicine years ago), two blue cheese and one super skunk. I finally just threw the seeds in the baskets on top of the hydroton just above the water line and covered with a layer of the hydroton. I had to leave town for a week and came home October 18th to sprouts.

GROW ROOM
I grow in a space of 5'x2.5' in a 5x10' half brick, half siding room which affords me plenty of work space. It is an attached "tool room" (for lack of knowing its original intended purpose) which is not heated or cooled by the house unit nor was it insulated.

DWC SETUP
One reservoir is a 30 gallon tote and the other an 18. There is one 4" air stone under each basket and 70L aquafarm air pump supplying them off of an 8 port manifold. One chiller is used to keep reservoirs cool. I have to periodically switch the hoses from one rez to the other which is a pita but the different strains require different strength of nutes so I am unable to mix them, I'll change that next grow.

FEEDING PPM/PH
I use the Lucas formula for feeding with General Hydroponics micro and bloom nutrients. This entire grow I have not gone over 550 ppm and generally just over 400. I think some of them would take more but the auto bubblelicious is a light feeder and it shows if I try to up the strength. I use the ppm and ph meters to determine how much to add per the Lucas formula method and what the plants tell me. I have not changed the reservoir at all and don’t really intend to unless I see that I need to. The ph has always remained from 5.8 to 6.1 and I top off with city tap water (ppm 60-70 & ph 6.4) adjusted to whatever ppm the girls tell me from the previous readings.

LIGHTING
I started with a 400w mh lamp and added a bestva 1000 led. Since flowering started I added another 400w hid lamp on the other side of the bestva. Both hid lights are now sporting hps bulbs and all are timed for 18/6.

ENVIRONMENT
Air circulation is provided by a medium size industrial type floor fan I hung against the opposite wall up near the ceiling and regulated by a motor control. Exhaust fan is 4” and also regulated to allow less airflow for heating reasons. I have a T installed into the exhaust duct where I can divert from free flow to a carbon filter. Intake is passive as air is drawn from the attic and a crack under the door from a shabby door replacement (I suck at carpentry).
Other than the hid lamps and chiller, heat is provided by an electric oil filled register type heater and one of those box infrared heaters. Humidity is controlled by 2 humidifiers and a passive bucket and towel system in which I added an aquarium heater and airstone. I monitor the temp and humidity in the grow room and the temp in my reservoirs with a set of monitors that are WiFi connected so even out of town I can see what's happening there. I'll use this same system when drying and curing too.
They're is an a/c unit cut into the wall but I certainly won't be needing it this or the next grow.

ELECTRICAL
This room originally had one double outlet in it. My buddy who is also a grower happens to be an electrician and installed two 4 outlet boxes, each one on a separate 20amp circuit.

Last edited:
IMG_20191201_160133634.jpg
IMG_20191201_160129564.jpg

There is a T connector between the filter and fan that allows me to pull unfiltered air. I figured this would help keep the filter cleaner since I only real need it when things get too stinking. I can just cap it off when things get rank. The exhaust is channeled out and up over the roof much like a wood stove chimney
IMG_20191202_082224490_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Today is week 8. The pH has been dropping lower than normal and since I'm going out of town for the weekend and I have not done a rez change, I figured today was a good a day as any. The ppm in both tanks has been bouncing around too which is not a normal thing for the last 8 weeks. I'm still working on getting the pH right while lights are out

Got the two TSW2000's today I ordered during the black Friday sale and put one in where I had the Bestva 1000 between the two 400w hps lights. We'll see what happens.

Back