Old Reviews DIY CalMag

Reaction score
Hi AFN
Here is quick tip how to make your own CalMag additive, which you could use for buffering your RO water, fixing various blocks and defs through whole grow cycle.
Final product contains ideal proportions of Cal and Mag, it will fully assure that these two elements will be available for your plant, no other nutes of same type are needed.
Dosage is 2ml / l for any kind of usage - soil, coco, hydro, foliar, etc.
I do recommend to use it with Amino acids for foliar - that's a nuclear coctail for your vegging plants!

What do we need
Calcium nitrate 130g
Magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) 50g
Distilled water 330ml

How to do it
We make two liquid solutions in separate dishes:
Solving Magnesium sulphate in 200ml of water
Solving Calcium nitrate in rest of the water

Ready solutions must be filtered before mixing, because Calcium nitrate will have some fats mixed in and these will be bad for filtering of final solution.

While constantly stirring, pour both solutions to one dish and keep stirring for couple of minutes. After that just leave all that for couple of hours, till most of Calcium sulphate will fall ot in bottom of dish as white powder of gyps. Now carefully pour liquid from top (you may use tubing to make it super clean), and that is what you need. Gyps now can be thrown away and solution is good to keep for a long time. If some gyps will fall in same solution while in shell, never miind, as when used with waater it will dissolve. You will need to mix it plenty with watern anyway before usage.

The result
Homemade CalMag ~483g
Gyps ~27g

Contents of final CalMag solution:
Nitrogen 4.2%
ammonia 0.24%
nitrates 3.96%
Calcium (as CaO) 4.7%
Magnesium (as MgO) 1.7%
Suphur (as SO3) 0.09%

That's it, happy growing! :)

Last edited:
Excellent share ! I thank you a lot , you have just saved me £ 13 a litre !

this is the nutritional analysis in my 13 quid bottle :
P1000675.JPG

Ive had them 2 ingredients for years in a bag together , and remember mixing up spoonfulls together an it not working well ! ....... thanx for the detail of now knowing the procedures and amounts to use .

Nice recipe mate, thanks for sharing this! I owe you a slapper need to give some around first!

Nice post.

"Ready solutions must be filtered before mixing"

What type of filter do you use?

I use coffee paper filters, they does the job.
But if some gyps residue persists after mixing final solution - that is not a tragedy, it will dissolve in water. Filtering is mainly for removing all oily residue and dirt, which plain salts may have.

Last edited:
Back