DIY DIY 15 GAL DWC/DRIP system

vick

Hairy Wizard
Reaction score
View attachment 208828
Measure and cut holes according to net pots. Use dremel or hole saw.

View attachment 208832
Make sure net pots fit with no gaps. Don't let light peek through the cracks. Sand down if you have to until it's just right.

View attachment 208834
Get yourself a massive airpump. This is a hydrofarm aapa25L. 25LPM. It's a decent size and it works okay, but bigger is better obviously. The more oxygen in the water and the more agitation, the less chance baddies will grow in the res and the higher chance your girls will thrive. A recommended pump for this res which will be about 60-70L full, would be an 80LPM pond standard linear pump. Look up the pondmaster or Alita series pumps. The alita is known to be ultra silent, running ay 39db but they are costly. Still a good investment and they can be fixed easily.

View attachment 208830
This is a 185gph water pump with a 6 outlet manifold. Find a manifold that will allow you to set the water flow to a SLOW DRIP. As minimal as possible. You don't want to risk overwatering your girls. If your water is properly oxygenated, you'll lower those chances. Attach the drip to the mid section of your netpot and position is so it points downwards. The hydroton will wick all of that water and stay properly hydrated.

Drip lines are optional!!! You can easily get away with a decent air pump and high water levels in the res (just below the netpot) to help your girls root. With the drip, you don't have to worry about top feeding your girls at first, to get them to root. The hydroton will always be moist at the bottom and the girls will follow the water to the res.

Play your cards right and you should great root growth in the res by day 9 from seed.

IF YOU ARE USING A WATER PUMP, PUT IT IN A FILTER BAG!!!!!!! ...Or else watch it devour your roots.

View attachment 208831
This was taken before 8 more air stones were added. (I got lazy)
Make sure your stones are ceramic, crumble proof, durable, pond standard or micro-pore and you are set. I drilled holes into pvc and fed the hoses through, this way nothing moves around in the res and I can position them where I need them easily. Just gotta measure things right.

View attachment 208833
Drill some holes according to the size of your airline tubes. DO NOT go any bigger or light will leak through. Also, It's highly recommended that you use black airline. If not available, Cover with foil for a quick fix.

View attachment 208824View attachment 208825View attachment 208826

An aquarium powerhead is optional and will add more oxygen and agitation to the water to increase dissolved oxygen. These units stay fairly cool and it would be a no brainer to think they wouldn't help. The added plus is that while agitating the surface of the water, they also recirculate the nute mixture in the res keeping it well cycled. Feed the oxygen bubble line out of your res, to an area with cool air and high oxygen uptake, such as closest to your inline fan or intake vents. Rotating frozen water bottles here to keep the res cool on warm days.

View attachment 208821View attachment 208822View attachment 208823View attachment 208838

Here's what growth looks like in this system if you do things right with MINIMAL experimentation with additives. Follow the K.I.S.S rule!!

The lucas formula was used here. Micro/bloom and nothing else. Started half strength from the 5-10 ratio and worked my way up every week.

• DO NOT use organic nutes or superthrive (Higher chances of clogging and growth of baddies)
  • DO NOT mix h2o2 with any zyme or organic additives
  • DON'T let the drip line flow at max speed. DRIP SLOWLY.
  • A chiller is recommended in warmer grow conditions
  • LIGHT PROOF YOUR RES
  • Insulate your res for added temp security
  • Invest in CERAMIC/Micropore pond standard Air stones!

Also, as an added plus, this 18 gallon BRUTE by rubbermaid tote is made with food standard plastic and is BPA free. They run a little high though. Worth it for being heavy duty though.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to dive into diy dwc. Most of the pros here grow in one bucket/one plant systems and get HEAVY yields. It's still possible in this type of res, but you need a decent pump, decent cooling and a green thumb of course..

Share your thoughts! Happy growing! Stay high! :toke:

Last edited:
very professional setup bro.
:wiz::smokebuds::peace::peace::peace::peace::peace:

Thanks bam! :dance: :buds::hug:

Excellent work & nicely detailed vic :thumbs: +rep mate

Thanks for the +rep love red! You da man :smokebuds:

Won't let me smack ya around, but sweet write up, dude.

Back