Diatomaceous earth questions

paulg

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
All things Twisted Tree
I ordered some DE off eBay. Holey tomoley, I got two four pound bags. I’m thinking this is a lifetime supply. The bag says it’s food grade flour. They also make a “Insect and pest” repellent product. My question is; is the food grade flour suitable for repelling pests in my tent? Also, how to best apply the product? Thx.

I ordered some DE off eBay. Holey tomoley, I got two four pound bags. I’m thinking this is a lifetime supply. The bag says it’s food grade flour. They also make a “Insect and pest” repellent product. My question is; is the food grade flour suitable for repelling pests in my tent? Also, how to best apply the product? Thx.
The actual DE is the same from what I understand…. The difference between food grade and non food grade has something to do with the anti caking agent.

Sprinkle de on top of your soil, but don’t get any on your buds. It loses its effectiveness once it gets wet.

:pass:

Well, if you have a powerful enough microscope you can look at the DE and see if it still has sharp edges. If it has rounded edges then it has been heated.

It'll work just the same. The difference is Food Grade has a finer grind and vetted for less heavy metal content.
:thumbsup:

Difference between food grade DE and not food grade is the silica, lead, and arsenic levels. They come from different shells. They all stay in the soil basically forever and they get consumed by the plants. Small amounts, but arsenic and lead are heavy metals and not ideal for consumption

Difference between food grade DE and not food grade is the silica, lead, and arsenic levels. They come from different shells. They all stay in the soil basically forever and they get consumed by the plants. Small amounts, but arsenic and lead are heavy metals and not ideal for consumption
True, the sources are Saltwater(Filter Grade) and Freshwater(Food Grade). Harris's is all Freshwater. The cap on Arsenic and Lead levels in FGDE is 10mg, and soil alone can top off at 40mg+ depending where it came from. Even Coco is subject to contamination while being processed, and even beforehand. Coco can carry the same contaminates, and and has also been found to have high Cadmium levels from processing.

Last edited:
Back