Curing problems

Reaction score
So now my third grow with the first two being lost to similar mold/budrot problems, albeit for some climate reasons outside my control.

This was sweet gelato by sweet seeds. Harvested a couple of weeks ago and dried using the paper bag method over 10-12 days. I had read various articles and forum posts trying to articulate when the right time to jar it is. Some say only when the small stems snap, some say that’s too late. I jarred when the stems seemed slightly on the bendier side rather than being fully snappable. I thought at worst, I would get a high humidity reading if it was too wet and then just unjar it for a while to dry out.

So about 3 Oz went into a few brand new Kilner jars, about half full and a hygrometer in each. I opened them after a day to check the smell (the previous grows had smelled horribly hay like and also probably of mold) and was pleasantly surprised to detect some kind of fruity vanilla-y weed smell, along with the hay like smell too.

The hygrometers were all brand new and reading within 1-2% of each other. They started at about 58% and after 48h crept up to 59-61% depending on the jar. I thought that this must mean the weed was on the dryer end and so I burped 10 mins every 24h. Almost no change in jar humidity after a few days of doing this, staying around 59-61%.

I wanted to try smoking some so yesterday I took some out and upon inspecting closely I could see very faint hairs/fibres of mold. Also noticed the moldy/grassy smell and no hint of a nice weed smell. Checked all of the others and the weed in every jar also had mold to different degrees.

I presume this indicates they were too wet when jarred. They were well spaced when drying in paper bags and were in small chunks (16-19C and 55-60% RH room). If they were jarred too wet, why didn’t the RH % in the jars go above 61%?

That’s 3/3 harvested grows ruined by budrot/mold and I’m not pissed about it, I just want to make sure I get the curing and drying technique as thats the only thing stopping me getting a good finished product now. Where did I go wrong?

Sprouted a SS Dark Devil today so hopefully I get to smoke this one!!

Attachments

• 91EB6F59-B8FC-4C66-B96C-156C4D2195B0.jpg
    91EB6F59-B8FC-4C66-B96C-156C4D2195B0.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 32
First off I don't see mold on that bud but it may just be the quality of the photo?

If it is mold I would guess that the mold started in the paper bags. 16°C is too cold and 55% to 60% is too humid to dry at; the ideal temperature to dry at is 20°C to 22°C with 45% - 50% humidity hanging in a space with soft air movement. Do not put it in the paper bags until almost dry to "sweat" the last bit of moisture out of the core. Usually just a couple of days.

It went into the jars at the the correct moisture level assuming your hygrometers are accurate. 58% - 62% is the target in the cure. Jars must be burped every day for the first two weeks. The curing process needs oxygen to help break down the chlorophyll (hay smell) and magnesium. Then burp at least once a week for the next few weeks and then once a month there after.

You may have a mold problem in your house that is contributing to your problems. If you see black mold around the bottom inside edges of your windows then the conditions that promote mold are happening in your house. Other molds like the same conditions.

This may sound counter-intuitive but you might try washing your buds in Lemon Juice and Baking Soda at harvest. This will help wash off any spores and help prevent what is happening to you. Take a 5 gallon bucket of tepid water add 1 cup of lemon juice and 1 cup of baking soda. Swish your colas around in it and then rinse in a second bucket of cold water. Shake off the excess water and hang to dry in a controlled environment.

:goodluck:

Back