Cob died

Reaction score
I am currently using a 'cheap' Phlizon 1500w cob cree light. I've done about 4 grows with it and am in the middle'ish of my 5th.
Unfortunately yesterday I noticed some blinking and when I checked was what happening to my surprise the middle cob looks this...

6114054_grow-journal-by-jezbong_m.jpg 6114055_grow-journal-by-jezbong.jpg 6114058_grow-journal-by-jezbong.jpg

https://growdiaries.com/video/6114054

I'm not sure what happend. Maybe it got too hot? or there was a little moisture?
I was already planning on replacing it, but this came a little sooner then expected :sad:
I've ordered 4 Mars Hydro TS 1000's to replace it, but it wil take a few days till they get here.
Now I'm just wondering if it safe to keep it running for the time being or is this turning into a fire hazard?

There could be a potential fire issue, as each led expires the rest get more electrical energy if wired in parallel (in series wiring a whole bunch would go out). Keep a close eye on things until you replace it!

There could be a potential fire issue, as each led expires the rest get more electrical energy if wired in parallel (in series wiring a whole bunch would go out). Keep a close eye on things until you replace it!
So say Thier 3 - 50w cobs
1 cob blows
Does the other 2 cobs take the load of the blown one.
2 cobs now got 75w each ?

I am currently using a 'cheap' Phlizon 1500w cob cree light. I've done about 4 grows with it and am in the middle'ish of my 5th.
Unfortunately yesterday I noticed some blinking and when I checked was what happening to my surprise the middle cob looks this...

View attachment 1512908 View attachment 1512909 View attachment 1512910

https://growdiaries.com/video/6114054

I'm not sure what happend. Maybe it got too hot? or there was a little moisture?
I was already planning on replacing it, but this came a little sooner then expected :sad:
I've ordered 4 Mars Hydro TS 1000's to replace it, but it wil take a few days till they get here.
Now I'm just wondering if it safe to keep it running for the time being or is this turning into a fire hazard?

you might look up BigSm0 here on the site for info on this, also led gardener did some good information videos on Cobs and thermal runaway etc.

But then again, as you have a new lamp on the way... just run with this one and hope its lasts.

Last edited:
That depends upon if it is a constant voltage or constant current driver. In your case I would surmise that it is a CC and in parallel with each other. It isn't that the watts are increased per say, just that at 100% the leds CAN pull more than the driver is rated for.

Back