Clawing and yellowing leaves with brown spots on them

Reaction score
The plant is 26 days old and 40 centimeters tall.
It grows in a 3 gallon pot with organic soil in it. I believe the soil comes with coco coir in it and also with some worm castings compost.
The temperature in the box stays at 24-25 degrees C most of the time and never goes above 30 degrees Centigrade.
The plant has been fed only once in its entire existence - a dose of worm castings tea. I kept giving her pure water ever since.

She was looking sorta OK two days ago, with just a few clawing leaves close to the top, but now she started to show yellowing leaves with brown spots on them.
If this problem is caused by nitrogen toxicity, then the leaves should be dark green, no? Well, they aren't dark green. The leaves are actually lime green and yellowing...

Is she overfed?
Or maybe the light is too bright?
A deficiency?

Thanks for your help, guys.

26 days old and 40 cm tall.jpg Yellowing and clawing leaf wth brown spots.jpg Yellowing leaf wth brown spots.jpg

Fist thing I would fine out is what exactly is in the soil.. That's what the plant is feeding on or not feeding on. I don't know of any organic soil that has coco in it.. Where did you get it and what was it intended to grow? Like flowers? Or veggies? Knowing what you are growing in is very important.

Fist thing I would fine out is what exactly is in the soil.. That's what the plant is feeding on or not feeding on. I don't know of any organic soil that has coco in it.. Where did you get it and what was it intended to grow? Like flowers? Or veggies? Knowing what you are growing in is very important.
I live in Eastern Europe and the soil that I use is a local brand that is advertised as being ideal for flowers.
One of the ingredients in the soil is coco coir or "coco fibers", like they call it on the label.
The coco coir is put in the mix in order to keep the soil aerated, to prevent it from clumping and to maintain good levels of moisture.
The soil also has worm castings compost in it.

can you post a picture of the bag and ingredients?

can you post a picture of the bag and ingredients?

Here are two pictures. One of the front of the bag and one of the back.
The two main ingredients seem to be peat and coconut fiber. They have also added some worm castings to the mix.
We have two NPK ratios given on the back label. Maybe one is for the peat and the other is for the coco coir? I have no idea...

Should I treat this mix like coco coir and not like real soil?
I just want to note that the plant has been growing more than great in this mix for the last 25 days...
Also, this mix is made for housewives who have no idea how to grow in coco.

Front.jpg Soil Ingredients.jpg

Here are two pictures. One of the front of the bag and one of the back.
The two main ingredients seem to be peat and coconut fiber. They have also added some worm castings to the mix.
We have two NPK ratios given on the back label. Maybe one is for the peat and the other is for the coco coir? I have no idea...

Should I treat this mix like coco coir and not like real soil?
I just want to note that the plant has been growing more than great in this mix for the last 25 days...
Also, this mix is made for housewives who have no idea how to grow in coco.

View attachment 1284052 View attachment 1284053
So the bag says it's peat and coco.. Those are the only two ingredients it lists. It's definitely not soil or compost. I would treat it as an amended coco. They added their own NPK but don't say what it's from. The npk ratios are off for cannabis. The problems are starting now because the needs of the plant are changing as it matures and enters pre-flower/flower. I would check the ppms of some run off to see how much nutrient/food is sitting in the pot. There's no way to know how much is N, P, or K, but it will give you a general idea if the medium is too hot.. It's best to avoid mediums that have npk values if they are designed for cannabis. That way you can control the feedings. Right now there is no way to take out what's already in there.

Hmmm clawing is usually excess nitrogen while fading out to yellow lower down on the plant is lack of nitrogen......... what’s your Ph going in and coming out? I think your ph is out of whack

So the bag says it's peat and coco.. Those are the only two ingredients it lists. It's definitely not soil or compost. I would treat it as an amended coco. They added their own NPK but don't say what it's from. The npk ratios are off for cannabis. The problems are starting now because the needs of the plant are changing as it matures and enters pre-flower/flower. I would check the ppms of some run off to see how much nutrient/food is sitting in the pot. There's no way to know how much is N, P, or K, but it will give you a general idea if the medium is too hot.. It's best to avoid mediums that have npk values if they are designed for cannabis. That way you can control the feedings. Right now there is no way to take out what's already in there.
Alright, the official site of the manufacturer does state that this mix contains Vermicompost, peat, coco coir, "and other ingredients".

Anyway, could I transplant the girl in better soil? Is that even possible at this stage?
Also, what if I just start treating this project like a coco grow and what if I start giving the plant CalMag and other hydro nutes?
The girl is close to flowering, so I will have to switch to flowering nutes anyway - no matter if this is real soil or coco.

Hmmm clawing is usually excess nitrogen while fading out to yellow lower down on the plant is lack of nitrogen......... what’s your Ph going in and coming out? I think your ph is out of whack
Exactly. I was puzzled about the clawing leaves being yellow instead of dark green.
I will check the pH soon. I have a soil probe and also have a proper pH meter.

Edit: The pH is 7.
Don't know if this is good or bad for a pre-flowering plant.

ph = 7.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly. I was puzzled about the clawing leaves being yellow instead of dark green.
I will check the pH soon. I have a soil probe and also have a proper pH meter.

Edit: The pH is 7.
Don't know if this is good or bad for a pre-flowering plant.

View attachment 1284061
Hmmmm for soil you want to keep it between 6 & 6.5 but coco a little lower then that, definitely could be your issue but I’m no expert. I’m not sure how those soil probs perform, I’d check some runoff with a ph pen and adjust accordingly if the runoff is 7 ph the water going in at 6. Great looking plant! You will get it figured out.

Back