Grow Mediums Canna Coco Professional

Xaloty

Outdoor/Greenhouse Autoflower Grower.
Reaction score
Hey, I've recently bought Canna Coco, I've never grown in coco before, I've only grown in soil. I was wondering if anyone had any crucious tips for me, I would be very happy to hear!

The nutrients that I will be using are Advanced Nutrients pH perfect trio + Nirvana + Big bud, and BioBizz cal-mag. I was wondering If I should start using these since day 1 or later, except the nirvana and Big bud, I know those are for later.

Thanks!<3

Hey, I've recently bought Canna Coco, I've never grown in coco before, I've only grown in soil. I was wondering if anyone had any crucious tips for me, I would be very happy to hear!

The nutrients that I will be using are Advanced Nutrients pH perfect trio + Nirvana + Big bud, and BioBizz cal-mag. I was wondering If I should start using these since day 1 or later, except the nirvana and Big bud, I know those are for later.

Thanks!<3

Hey ^_^ I grew in coco some years back and only used Canna Coco Professional+

Here's some tip i gathered from the Canna infopages and articles. It's a few years old, but all the basics haven't changed.

The bottom watering seciton is confusing (5.2-6.2ph .... pretty wide range!) .. I'd try and stick around 5.8PH after your nutrients are in.

Happy growing
Blue
:d5:

You are using the pH Perfect products, so you shouldn't need to worry about the pH. If you are planning on using tap water though, do take a reading of it beforehand. If it is pretty high (say, above 8) you would be safer using distilled or reverse osmosis water. My personal preference is to use distilled or reverse osmosis regardless.
You will want to use Cal-Mag throughout the vegetative state, and 2 weeks into the flowering state.
Advanced Nutrients has a handy calculator. Here is a link to it:
Calculator

Last edited:
Hey ^_^ I grew in coco some years back and only used Canna Coco Professional+

Here's some tip i gathered from the Canna infopages and articles. It's a few years old, but all the basics haven't changed.

The bottom watering seciton is confusing (5.2-6.2ph .... pretty wide range!) .. I'd try and stick around 5.8PH after your nutrients are in.

Happy growing
Blue
:d5:
Hey, I've already read this article of yours, yeah, the watering section is very confusing for me. The water 'EC, the other things you have to do. Are all of these things necessary? Can't I just plant the seedling and water with nutrients till the end? Of course with the correct pH.

Are all of these things necessary?

Yeah, kinda! The EC and PH meter will be important unless you've got a good handle on what your water PH already is and what it will be when you mix X amount of nutes in there.
That can only come with experience and lots of fiddling with meters.

There may be some people with experience of AN nutes that can say for example week 1-3 add 5ml per liter (just an example, don't do it) of A and B ... etc

BUT .. you'll have different water to them, so won't really know the EC and PH unless you check.

Soil is more forgiving ... but on the other side, coco grows done properly will probably out yeild a soil grow.

What blue says. Coco is a hands on grow not sit back and chill where soil is def more laid back in terms of PH and feeding :thumbsup:

I'm unfamiliar with the AN trio, but I think they have enough cal/mag in them without adding a separate product in addition. They don't list their own cal mag on the feed chart either and they love to push multiple products. Start with just the base products.

You will definitely need to mix a few batches and see where the ppm/pH falls. I've used their Sensi pH perfect a couple times. You really need to mix and wait to take readings accurately.

5.8-6.2 is ideal and be sure to water until you get 20% runoff. It's worked well for me as a recent coco convert.

I know canna does not recommend rinsing theircoco but, I would at least run some light seedling strength feed through it to remove the initial loose bits and dust. Like 300ppm ish. I check the ppm strength of the runoff. Helps to see trends up or down and you can adjust watering volume as needed.

As I said above, you don't need to worry about pH when using the pH Perfect products. It essentially allows the nutrients and supplements to be absorbed regardless (with reason, between 4 and 8 as I recall) what the starting pH is.
But... I was just double checking the website about the Trio product, and I don't see anywhere that it says it can be used for hydroponics, which is what Coco is. It may be intended just for soil. You should contact them and ask. In all likelihood it will be fine as long as adequate Cal-Mag is added. There is a product (Sensi Coco Grow, Sensi Coco Bloom) that is designed for use in Coco.
Oh, this is important - there is a sequence that needs to be followed when mixing your nutrients and supplements:
Add Micro to your water. Mix and wait 5 minutes.
Add Grow to your water. Mix and wait 5 minutes.
Add Bloom to your water. Mix and wait 5 minutes.
Now, you may add any supplements you wish to.

I took the liberty of creating a feeding chart for you, as their tool can be hard to understand. The Cal-Mag section is left as TBD since you will have to determine that on your own, based on the product you bought.

nutrients_gmb.jpg

Note: You don't need to use all the supplements listed, but the values are there should you choose to.

I just did a quick search on the internet to find the labels from the Grow-Micro-Bloom product. It looks like Micro and Grow have Cal-Mag, but not as much as the Sensi Coco products have.
So, I suspect they will be okay to use, but also suspect you will need to add some of your own Cal-Mag product.
Here is a photo of what a Cal-Mag deficiency looks like, so you can keep an eye out:

cal_mag_def.jpg

Back