Nutrients Cal-Nit - JR Peters (Jacks) Vs. Southern Ag

DCLXVI

Non smoker
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hey growfriends! I've been running the Jacks nutrient line for a few grows now. Pretty simple 3-part blend. I recently started to run low on the Jacks Part B. It's just plain ol' calcium nitrate. The Jacks brand is a bit spendy and they were out of stock on several websites in the small 2lb bag. I have no idea how long it would take me to go through a 25lb or 50lb bag but probably longer than I have years left on this planet. I did find a trusted brand making Cal-Nit in a very similar formula.

Southern Agriculture make several excellent products. I picked up a 5lb bag of their Cal-Nit off ugh, Amazon. I hate buying anything that adds data to their bank.

Ok onto the comparison.

Jacks Cal-Nit: $24.50 for 1kg/2.2lbs plus shipping on their website OR $50 for 25lbs. What the heck am I gonna do with 25lbs? Small bag is out of stock on Amazon currently.

Southern AG Cal-Nit: ~$15 for 5lbs. Shipping is Amazon so most likely included if you have Prime or buy another $10 of crap.

Either way, for a small amount the Southern Ag 5lb bag is far cheaper. Big bag? Jacks wins.

How do they stack up?

The Southern AG bag is sturdy and reinforced but you have to cut it open. Not resealable. Or just fold/tape/find a container

The Jacks bag has a nice ziplock style closure. It also holds all 5 lbs of the other bag. I'm going to reuse the Jacks bag until it dies.

a.JPG

Formulation?

Jacks: 15% Nitrate nitrogen and 18% Ca
SoAg: 15.5% (14.5% Nitrate nitrogen, 1% ammoniacal nitrogen) and 19% Ca

Close enough to call it the same.

c.JPG

d.JPG

So what's in the bag!!

The Jacks is smaller rounder balls. The SoAg is larger pellets. I've only mixed two batches so far but the SoAG dissolved quicker and easier.

b.JPG

Time will tell if there is any real difference between them. In a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to try the Southern Ag Cal-Nit. I'll update if anything goes sideways or I notice any changes, differences, problems, etc..

Hey growfriends! I've been running the Jacks nutrient line for a few grows now. Pretty simple 3-part blend. I recently started to run low on the Jacks Part B. It's just plain ol' calcium nitrate. The Jacks brand is a bit spendy and they were out of stock on several websites in the small 2lb bag. I have no idea how long it would take me to go through a 25lb or 50lb bag but probably longer than I have years left on this planet. I did find a trusted brand making Cal-Nit in a very similar formula.

Southern Agriculture make several excellent products. I picked up a 5lb bag of their Cal-Nit off ugh, Amazon. I hate buying anything that adds data to their bank.

Ok onto the comparison.

Jacks Cal-Nit: $24.50 for 1kg/2.2lbs plus shipping on their website OR $50 for 25lbs. What the heck am I gonna do with 25lbs? Small bag is out of stock on Amazon currently.

Southern AG Cal-Nit: ~$15 for 5lbs. Shipping is Amazon so most likely included if you have Prime or buy another $10 of crap.

Either way, for a small amount the Southern Ag 5lb bag is far cheaper. Big bag? Jacks wins.

How do they stack up?

The Southern AG bag is sturdy and reinforced but you have to cut it open. Not resealable. Or just fold/tape/find a container

The Jacks bag has a nice ziplock style closure. It also holds all 5 lbs of the other bag. I'm going to reuse the Jacks bag until it dies.

View attachment 1546893

Formulation?

Jacks: 15% Nitrate nitrogen and 18% Ca
SoAg: 15.5% (14.5% Nitrate nitrogen, 1% ammoniacal nitrogen) and 19% Ca

Close enough to call it the same.

View attachment 1546894

View attachment 1546895

So what's in the bag!!

The Jacks is smaller rounder balls. The SoAg is larger pellets. I've only mixed two batches so far but the SoAG dissolved quicker and easier.

View attachment 1546896

Time will tell if there is any real difference between them. In a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to try the Southern Ag Cal-Nit. I'll update if anything goes sideways or I notice any changes, differences, problems, etc..
Sounds like Southern Ag is the same as Megacrop part B. Not sure $$$ for MC just from what I remember when comparing to Jack's. I believe MC part B is 15.5-0-0.

Back