Bug Identification

MesaBoogie

We live to survive our paradoxes
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I found these little fella's scooting around my soil. From my googling my best guess is Springtail, soil mites or root aphids. I recently added nematodes to my soil for a gnat problem. I'm worried they are going it eat my nematodes ! I'm also half way though what I think was a thrip infestation.. When it rains it pours I guess! I think I got hit with a bad bag of Coco. Now I find these lil guys :(
@St. Tom I know you've been around and have seen some things in your day ! Any help with this or be able to point me to the bug man ?

Thanks guys !

I found these little fella's scooting around my soil. From my googling my best guess is Springtail, soil mites or root aphids. I recently added nematodes to my soil for a gnat problem. I'm worried they are going it eat my nematodes ! I'm also half way though what I think was a thrip infestation.. When it rains it pours I guess! I think I got hit with a bad bag of Coco. Now I find these lil guys :(
Would appreciate any help.

Definitely springtails. They only seem to bother younger plants and seedlings. They are beneficial for soil but not so much for coco or other Inert Media.

I had some 2 grows back and I grow in coco so they were eating my seedlings roots. You can use BT or Diatomaceous earth to kill them .If you go De make sure you get food grade.

Also if your not in flower you can use Sevin Dust and will kill everything. Thrips, aphids , springtails and fungus knat larvae. Best of luck.
Edit. Just let your coco get dry on the top layer and sprinkle the Seven dust on top of your coco. Then you gotta not water or feed for at least 24 hours. Which isn't ideal for Coco.

Thanks @DoobieGrows. I don't think I can get Seven here in Canada. DE is definitely available, however I think that will kill my nematodes lol :( I think I'll let the nematodes go for a week than treat the springtails.

Never use sevin anywhere near your plants...
Screenshot_20241011-191332.png

Springtails won't bother your nematodes. They're breaking down organic material in the soil. Only a problem for seedlings really but they can spread throughout the house. But they're there due to the soil being too wet. You can take the top inch of the soil off to fight them back. You can also kill them with a hair dryer. Tough battle if you're using fabric bags

Springtails won't bother your nematodes. They're breaking down organic material in the soil. Only a problem for seedlings really but they can spread throughout the house. But they're there due to the soil being too wet. You can take the top inch of the soil off to fight them back. You can also kill them with a hair dryer. Tough battle if you're using fabric bags
That's good to know, I was worried they might feed on the nematodes.. I'm kind of worried they they don't have anything to feed on in coco except the roots.

That's good to know, I was worried they might feed on the nematodes.. I'm kind of worried they they don't have anything to feed on in coco except the roots.
Not uncommon for me to get algae on top of my coco, and anything that's wet all the time can grow some fungus. Pretty easy if you're in fabric bags. That's what they're feeding on and that's why they're considered beneficial in soil. But they're not predatory bugs, so they won't hurt any beneficial insects you've got. If you've got grown plants springtails are really just a nuisance. They won't get up into the buds or the plants and they'll stay were the moisture is

If you do a dry back or two. That should significantly lower their numbers.

Back