Breeding Variegated Cannabis - Part1

Dr Fluff

Mighty Powerful, Cure Alls & Snake Oil Elixirs
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
yo arse
I copied and pasted this from https://safeeakh.org/2017/01/02/project-v-for-variegation/

Project V: Variegated Cannabis

Project V is the name of our endeavor to ‘pheno-hunt’ for the rare variegation trait in DJ Short’s Old World Genetics. The Rosaberry x Blueberry BX1 tester seeds that I received from DJ produced an amazing male possessing the variegation trait.

I plan to breed this male with some Vanilluna females in efforts to maintain and increase the consistency of this rare trait in my garden. The Vanilluna strain by DJ Short has been known to display the variegation train. The following photo is an example of the display of this trait in his garden and what I hope to find in my own:

ABOVE: A variegated Vanilluna plant of DJ Short’s garden @OldWorldGenetics
This phenotypic (outward/perceivable) expression in this particular line of plants from Mr. John seems to be derived from the original landrace Afghani or Thai plants that DJ Short worked with but that is only my own personal assertion based on the variegation that I found on the male plant I have from DJ that was backcrossed to his original 4th generation Blueberry; also a product of his original landrace Afghani/Thai genetics.

I will soon be popping some Vanilluna seeds and hopefully we can find some females that display the infamous variegation trait. If so, we can then breed them with the Rosaberry x Blueberry [f4] male that I already have with the variegation trait and the progeny should be quite interesting. Not only should we be able to increase the consistency of the display of this rare ornamental trait but we should also be able to find the medicinal cannabinoid CBD in the chemotropic profile of that potential seed progeny. Beautiful medicine is the endeavor of Project V.

Unfortunately, the DJ Short’s Vanilluna strain is no longer in productions but there are a few discontinued packs available through select distributors. Contact Old World Genetics or Second Generation Genetics for more information.
screen-shot-2017-01-15-at-9-42-45-pm.png

After sprouting a few of the Vanilluna seeds from DJ Short myself, the Most High happened to bless me with one variegated sprout!

20170114_192354.jpg

Again, after sprouting a couple of Vanilluna seeds from DJ Short (marked ‘VL’ in the photos below) I was blessed with a seedling that was highly variegated from it’s initial “ground breaking” arrival into the world!

A very nice addition to the garden indeed. Despite the belief of many individuals, that this variegated trait is a worthless genetic mutation that should be removed from my garden, I actually enjoy it’s aesthetic ornamental appeal, genetic history, and the rarity of this particular characteristic.

If I am able to chaperone the plant into maturity, Most High willing, whether it be male or female, I plan on using it for future breeding. However, if I am fortunate enough to have a female from this sprout, it would be an ideal partner for the Rosaberry x Blueberry [f4] BX1 male that I have in my library. Let’s see what happens.

While growing the Vanilluna pictured in this Project V blog, I also came into possession of some Wild Thailand seeds. Of course, I popped a few.

Within this pack of seeds, I found, so far, one plant that supported my original theory regarding the origin of the variegation trait found in some of DJ Short’s genetic lines.

Notice the “Yin-Yang” leaf variegation on one of the fan leafs

Although I of course cannot be certain of the actual origin of DJ Shorts original Thai genetics, it is interesting to randomly find the variegation trait in the seeds labelled “Wild Thailand” as well as in DJ Short’s Vanilluna strain that has “Purple Thai”, “Chocolate Thai” and “Highland Thai” in it’s genetics. Vanilluna was created from a female from the same seed stock as the Blue Satellite with the Blue Satellite and its seed stock being the F4 generation of DJ’s Floral Line derived from the CT (Chocolate Thai) and HOG (Highland Oaxaca Gold) as well as the PT and Afghani. Being that I have yet to see the variegation trait displayed in a “Pure Afghani/Indica” plant nor in any Oaxacan (which we also in the library), and also after reading that variegation is often found in plant specifies found in the understory of tropical forest, I again have become more convinced of the high probability that the variegation genetic can be found in Thai/Laos genetics. More research will have to be performed in the near future to find confirmation. In any event, it is amazing to see both the variegated Wild Thailand and DJ Short’s Vanilluna together.

Notice the similar “Yin-Yang” leaf variegation in the WOS Wild Thailand (LFT) and the DJ Short’s Vanilluna (RT)
The variegated Vanilluna looks amazing but is still too young to determine if it is male of female. I will be grateful for whatever my garden receives but it would be nice to see the female flowers that form from a plant with this display of variegation.

It is also interesting to see the variegated Vanilluna next to the non-variegated Vanilluna for sake of comparison.

As I previously stated, it would be very nice to see the variegated Vanilluna plant as a female. There are two reasons:

1. PRESERVATION: According to a recent post by JD Short @secondgenerationgenetics (DJ Short’s son), the Vanilluna mother was “recently lost” and “soon be no more”.
    I have some excellent Vanilluna males selected for preservatory breeding but I would like to use this variegated plant, if female, to produce a Vanilluna x Vanilluna offspring that would also carry the infamous Vanilluna variegation.

A few selected Vanilluna males.
  • EXPLORATION: I would allow like to used the variegated Vanilluna female to breed with the Rosaberry Bx Blueberry F4 male that I have with some interesting variegation as well.

The Variegated Rosaberry Bx Blueberry F4 male

hey i have a variegated Vietblack x Hoabac! Vietblack can have really black Phenos!
picture.php
[/IMG]

I took a cutting, but not shure the Cut makes it. nearly no Roots since 3 Weeks, wanted to pollinate with vietblack.. But atleast i pollinate with Hoabac wich is a very green looking Plant, and i wanted actually a Blackwhite Thematic..

Oh no, im sad to say, the white tiger died faster than we could celebrate its Existence. I forgot watering one Day, now its byby.

Anyway, i have this variegated Hoabac x Vietblack in my Hoabac pollination Spot. I could still pollinate with Vietblack BUT i dont wanna risk the Spot to be infected by Vietblack.. Ok i coud dig up the Plant, so i only risk one Plant.. sssshhhh

Anyway, atleast i will have variegated : ( Hoabac x ( Hoabac x Vietblack )) Probably i still find black Plants in it... probably, rather hard.

Back