Breeding Variegated Cannabis - Part 2

Dr Fluff

Mighty Powerful, Cure Alls & Snake Oil Elixirs
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
yo arse
This male displays some interesting and consistent variegation traits. I say that they are consistent because I have taken cuttings from the plant to remove the variegated parts which have all regrown with the reoccurrence of the variegation trait.

Some of the variegation on this male plant has splashes of yellow and strawberry pink. This variegation display is reminiscent of what JD Short has called “easter basket” variegation as displayed on his “Black Rose” strain.

Obviously, my display is not nearly as stunning as JD’s but I still think there’s some potential in the seed progeny if I bring the variegated Rosaberry Bx1 Blueberry F4 male together with the variegated Vanilluna female.

20170412_130547.jpg
20170407_124112.jpg

The variegated Vanilluna female performed very well and surprised me with her healthy leaf development. The green parts of the plant seem to create the energy that the white parts are unable to photosynthesize.

The foliage lacking chlorophyll was a very stunning ‘paper-white’ or had a slight yellow tint. They were also susceptible to necrosis (leaf deterioration/death) if the plant is overwatered. The variegated Vanilluna seemed to prefer conditions bordering closer to too little water rather than too much. After understanding the proper water balance, the variegated and white leaves became quite stunning.

Although many might like to attribute her interesting leaf patterns to a plant virus or “light-burn,” it would actually appear to be a genetic trait that we will discuss in some detail later. This plant was grown outdoors in full Sun and the intriguing flowers and leaves were a result of that energy and light spectrum.

The flowers that developed from the variegated Vanilluna gave an amazing display of colors.

The dried flowers were amazing in look and effect. This plant maintained the aroma and flavor profile of here catalogued description, as well as the effect. The colors were the only perceivable difference and they were very different indeed. It also makes me curious if there are any different cannabinoids being produced.

Not only were we able to enjoy the flowers but seeds were also made. The seeds were made from of cross between a male Vanilluna from the same pack as the variegated female Vanilluna, rather than the male variegated Rosaberry pictured earlier in this post. We do have pollen from that male and hope to experiment with it as well in the future, however the Vanilluna x Vanilluna breeding produced some variegated Vanilluna F2 seeds. Many of the seed calyxes maintained the same variegated patterns of the parts of the plant where they grew.

After making these seeds, it was uncertain what they would produce or whether the variegated trait would be passed on or not. Many individuals shared their own opinions but I decided to do some of my own research into the possibility. I found some good information and was led by someone online to a particular link.

Back