Best medium for new growers?

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

just wanted to see what people thought was a great beginners medium to grow in? Right now I’m using 3 gallon smart pots with 40% FFoF/40% HF and 20% Perlite. My first grow here I ran into problems with some plant burn from the soil.

I see that pretty much everyone uses Coco/Perlite mix but I’m thinking having to water everyday and using more nutes might not be beginner friendly. I also been reading a lot about super soils I could mix in with normal potting soil.

I been looking at auto pots and I was thinking my next grow to buy a 1 kit system.

what do you think is a great medium for beginners?

There's nothing as forgiving as soil (and add some perlite for drainage). It would be my vote for someone new & does not want a load of bother.

If you like all the messing around with nutes and ph from day 1, then go the coco or hydro kits.

Hey everyone!

just wanted to see what people thought was a great beginners medium to grow in? Right now I’m using 3 gallon smart pots with 40% FFoF/40% HF and 20% Perlite. My first grow here I ran into problems with some plant burn from the soil.

I see that pretty much everyone uses Coco/Perlite mix but I’m thinking having to water everyday and using more nutes might not be beginner friendly. I also been reading a lot about super soils I could mix in with normal potting soil.

I been looking at auto pots and I was thinking my next grow to buy a 1 kit system.

Light mix from biobizz

Coco/pearlite.
Will avoid overwatering issues which is number one issue for new growers.
Soil is more forgiving in feed balance but prone to being waterlogged: So if you go this route DEF do as niceneasy says - upto 30/40 % pearlite or similar

Hey everyone!

Hi hod! As far as beginner friendly mediums I believe it gets no easier than using Growpito Sim Mix. It is a stonewool based medium that is watered from the bottom with systems like autopots for high efficiency in water and nutrient usage. It is also reusable and uses less water with less frequent irrigation cycles, every 3-5 days, than coco while also holding more water and air.

Here is our current grow in the Sim Mix

Lumii_20200414_130758481_compress67.jpg
Lumii_20200423_132953779_compress14.jpg
Lumii_20200423_132936323_compress71.jpg

Good luck!

For a new grower I would suggest stay away from coco unless you are fully prepared and you are bang on with your nutes, ppm, watering ph levels ect, I'd personally would go with biobizz lightmix soil. Saves you alot of bother

I agree with Growpito_Aleks.

I'm starting an autopot grow using the 2.2 gal 2 pot Easy2Grow system with growpito.
So far the plants are liking the medium, and it's very easy to deal with.
Until I discovered growpito, I was dreading dealing with messy coco and perlite.
The downside is that growpito does have high initial costs, but it is supposed to last a very long time, so the cost per grow is low.

I'm hoping to abandon DWC and use this style instead, if it even comes close to hydro quality and yield.

Back