Old Reviews Assessing Rosin Presses vs. Components

terp182

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
I picked up some Low Temp 3x5 plates and cage during their New Year's sale, and am considering having a custom cage put together to hold the Low Temp cage/plates and the cylinder, which should be low profile, similar to the Low Temp v2. I'm also looking at a cheap Strongway Benchtop 10-Ton (Chinese made, $350 shipped), or a Dake 10-Ton (American made, $500 shipped).

Obviously the Strongway and Dake come with their own manual hydraulic pump and 10 ton press. The one the guy I am talking to about a custom recommends the BVA pump/cylinder combo, which is $600, on top of the couple hundred for the cage he's building.

Here's my question/issue. I'd really like the custom cage since it's low profile/easy to stow and relatively portable. But the $800 (total) price for that and the BVA pump is steep. As a home user squishing for 2, will I see a difference in the extra $400 or so for the nice nice BVA pump, or is there a more reasonably priced alternative pump/cylinder combo that will still make solid squishes on a 3x5 that I'm missing? Links to all 3 are below. And is the $40 Mophorn 10 Ton Hydraulic Cylinder workable on a custom squisher, or is money better spent on a more expensive cylinder? Thanks for any insight - I'm a complete mechanical greenhorn, let alone trying to assess relative quality of parts over the internet!

BVA Pump/Cylinder Combo ($700)
Link

Strongway Benchtop 10-Ton Press ($350)
Link

Dake Benchtop 10-Ton ($500)
Link

Mophorn 10-Ton Cylinder (would still need a hand pump) ($40)
Link

Pictured: a similar custom press frame to the one I’m considering.

Attachments

• 7286FA76-A3DE-4A0C-81A7-E7B99DC79985.jpeg
    7286FA76-A3DE-4A0C-81A7-E7B99DC79985.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I recently bought the 4x7low temp. I went all out and got the insulation and ano.

Luckily i have a 1950s press with dual rams.

I actually indented the top off my cage cause My guages are broke.

That said my cousin has gone thru 2 different presses trying to get enough pressure on his setup. Personally by once and cry once.

I would look if the pumps are rebuildable?

My press has a ton of adjustablity making for easier dialing in of force.

These press plates from low temp look like a life time product. I would match it with the best thing you can and let the rosin pay for its self

Following up on this for anyone who might stumble across this in the future...

The Dake press can sometimes be found at Walmart . com for $430 delivered. About $100 cheaper than Amazon and other drop shippers. It's a bit bigger than I expected but performs super solidly. Once you get over '300' on the PSI dial, you're putting your back into the hydraulic arm, and ~400 is where bags seem to want to break. If you intend to press rosin and are over 40 or 50, you might want to drop the extra money on a BVA press or the Low Temp v2. I'm 45 and don't mind putting my back into the end of a second press, but I can see it getting old.

Zero complaints about the 3x5 uninsulated Low Temp plates. They're rock solid and work well with the press so far. No surprises there. I also got these at a 10% discount just after New Year's, so the Dake/Low Temp combo can be had for under $900. Given our rosin habits, that made our break even point on this about 3 months, and now our rosin menu is orders of magnitude larger. Zero regrets on this purchase!

I would like to use my 13 ton and it’s hydraulic ram but I got to get some plates they’ll take it Or maybe even a cold pressed I don’t know if it’s possible

Back