Am I doing something wrong ?

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Big Bud, Strawberry Cough
Problem:
My primary concern is low yield. I need to figure out why ALL of my plants are finishing with about a 1-2 oz yield, or are these just strain related issues? Most of them look healthy enough but not yielding anywhere near breeder specs.
I'm a med patient and I need to find strains that yield more and have the ?Indica punch. ANd I'm wanting to know good hybrid strains that sedate. Any and all recommendations are appreciated. PLEASE:smokeit:

Medium/grow method:
All in potting soil. I've used FFOF, FFHF, and lastly a Mother Earth ammended Potting soil. I have a reasonably good ph meter and all of my pots seem to settle to about 6.4-6.8 ph in the root zone.

Feed: and supplements used:
liquid kelp, kelp meal, micorhizza, Happy Frog and Doctor Earth time release N_P_K nutes, teas, castings, small amounts of Alfalfa Meal, Humic Acid, fulvic acid (both of those rarely).

water source:
Ph'd and dechlorinated tap water varying between 6.2 and 7.0.

Strain/age:
All predominantly indicas, aged between 2 and 3 months
Critical Purple (Growers Choice), Hindu Kush (Growers Choice) , Big Bud (not sure) , Nine Pound Hammer (Pacific Seed)

light used:
Cheap grow lights during germination and into the sun a week after popping seeds, or sooner.

Climate
: Approx 40% humidity when not rainy. 70-90 degrees F most days.

Additional info:
I've used three different potting soils listed above and see exactly the same growth in all three, FWIW. I'm a little puzzled about feeding without bottled nutrients. I'm still trying to learn when to add more time release organics and not want to be chasing deficiencies .
3moBigBud.JPG
3 month old Big Bud

3moCriticalPurp.JPG
3 month old Critical Purple

6wkBigBud.JPG
3 month old Nine Pound Hammer...grew wierd the entire time..always had the leaves pointed up praying. Bizarre looking plant but smells delicious ~!

6wkCriticalPurp.JPG
6 week old Critical Purple

Last edited:
Problem:
My primary concern is low yield. I need to figure out why ALL of my plants are finishing with about a 1-2 oz yield, or are these just strain related issues? Most of them look healthy enough but not yielding anywhere near breeder specs.
I'm a med patient and I need to find strains that yield more and have the ?Indica punch. ANd I'm wanting to know good hybrid strains that sedate. Any and all recommendations are appreciated. PLEASE:smokeit:

Medium/grow method:
All in potting soil. I've used FFOF, FFHF, and lastly a Mother Earth ammended Potting soil. I have a reasonably good ph meter and all of my pots seem to settle to about 6.4-6.8 ph in the root zone.

Feed: and supplements used:
liquid kelp, kelp meal, micorhizza, Happy Frog and Doctor Earth time release N_P_K nutes, teas, castings, small amounts of Alfalfa Meal, Humic Acid, fulvic acid (both of those rarely).

water source:
Ph'd and dechlorinated tap water varying between 6.2 and 7.0.

Strain/age:
All predominantly indicas, aged between 2 and 3 months
Critical Purple (Growers Choice), Hindu Kush (Growers Choice) , Big Bud (not sure) , Nine Pound Hammer (Pacific Seed)

light used:
Cheap grow lights during germination and into the sun a week after popping seeds, or sooner.

Climate
: Approx 40% humidity when not rainy. 70-90 degrees F most days.

Additional info:
I've used three different potting soils listed above and see exactly the same growth in all three, FWIW. I'm a little puzzled about feeding without bottled nutrients. I'm still trying to learn when to add more time release organics and not want to be chasing deficiencies .
View attachment 1218522 3 month old Big Bud

View attachment 1218523 3 month old Critical Purple

View attachment 1218524 3 month old Nine Pound Hammer...grew wierd the entire time..always had the leaves pointed up praying. Bizarre looking plant but smells delicious ~!

View attachment 1218525 6 week old Critical Purple
So 2 big things I will say I have seen looks of mixed results with those seed breeders/seedbanks and there for yields very widely so get something that's easy and isn't necessarily fast wat I mean is look for 75day strains roughly dinafem is great rocbud seems great but pm me and I can set u up if you want also if you want a larger plant consider upping temps and directly into final pot. Lmk if you need nething.

Starting your plants in solo cups requires excellent timing for the transplant or the plant can be stunted. That said I grew an 80g plant in a solo cup. Start in a cube, root riot, rapid rooter etc. ( not jiffy pellets ). Then plant as soon as the roots show.

How many Hours of direct sunlight are they getting?

I would use a better brand of media "Royal Gold Mendo Mix" or something made by Royal Gold.

Then either go organic all the way (requires skills) or just get a good cannabis nutrient line and stick with it. I like GreenLeaf for value.

There are so many good strains that meet your criteria. go out to seedfinder.eu and search their database. It is fun and educational.

Learn how to top your plants at the 4 th node. Visit @autobeast threads.

ScreenHunter_146 Dec. 11 22.18.jpg

This breaks the apical dominance and you will get more big colas.

:vibe:

Starting your plants in solo cups requires excellent timing for the transplant or the plant can be stunted. That said I grew an 80g plant in a solo cup. Start in a cube, root riot, rapid rooter etc. ( not jiffy pellets ). Then plant as soon as the roots show.

How many Hours of direct sunlight are they getting?

I would use a better brand of media "Royal Gold Mendo Mix" or something made by Royal Gold.

Then either go organic all the way (requires skills) or just get a good cannabis nutrient line and stick with it. I like GreenLeaf for value.

There are so many good strains that meet your criteria. go out to seedfinder.eu and search their database. It is fun and educational.

Learn how to top your plants at the 4 th node. Visit @autobeast threads.

View attachment 1218549

This breaks the apical dominance and you will get more big colas.

I actually think I have the transplant timing down finally after screwing a few up a few of them. They usually spend about 1 week from germ in the cup and I use the idiot proof 'Transplant cup' technique that I learned it this forum as soon as I see a tap root reach the bottom.... or sooner.

They get right about 9 hours of direct sun a day.

I'll try to get some of that soil for next year. I hadn't heard of that kind before but it looks like even Amazon has it. I've had great luck with the FFOF with my photos and I couldn't tell that it was making the autos struggle, but maybe so.....they sure don't get very big.

I really want to make the switch to organic, I just don't know how to do it. If I go with the organic time release nutes, it seems to be working but because so many growers in this forum recommend using 1/4 to 1/2 strength nutrients......AND my plants are small......it makes me think that I might need to give them more to 'pump' them up. i've rarely seen a nute burn (only one time) so i keep wondering if they just need more food. So, I'll eventually give them an energy drink of npk. I might be underfeeding I guess. And then, when to add more of the organic ? I'm sort of half way there, stuck in-between.

That is how I top my photos but I've been LSTing the autos because I thought they shouldn't be topped. My autos seem like they are starting to flower around the 5th node so I've been afraid to try topping one. The only one I didn't LST was the Big Bud. I only skipped that because the seed co recommended not doing any training on that strain for some reason so I though I'D try it.
Thanks for your time and thanks for the recommendations on the soil and the seedco. i'm thinking I need to get away from the nearly pure Indicas, maybe they are usually small, not sure.

My outdoor autos never seem to not put out like their indoor sisters. I believe it's more environment than anything, not optimal temps and rH, low hrs of sunlight.... Outdoor I'll pull maybe 2 to 3 zips off an auto. Indoor same strain will hit 5 in soil and over a half in coco under COBs.
Outdoor this season has been mid 50s at night and between 80 and 105* the tent is always 80* with rH fluctuating thru the grow, other than that they're pretty much run the same indoor to oudoor.
What's your overnight temps?

My outdoor autos never seem to not put out like their indoor sisters. I believe it's more environment than anything, not optimal temps and rH, low hrs of sunlight.... Outdoor I'll pull maybe 2 to 3 zips off an auto. Indoor same strain will hit 5 in soil and over a half in coco under COBs.
Outdoor this season has been mid 50s at night and between 80 and 105* the tent is always 80* with rH fluctuating thru the grow, other than that they're pretty much run the same indoor to oudoor.
What's your overnight temps?
Yeah, i was wondering the same thing. I get down in the 50's at night, and I will say that we have gotten close to 100 F a couple of days but an average day temp might be 80-ish. I'm in Colorado and it sounds similar to your environment. I think that this is so interesting, it's the kind of thing I really want to know:
Outdoor I'll pull maybe 2 to 3 zips off an auto. Indoor same strain will hit 5 in soil and over a half in coco under COBs.
It is starting to sound like I should be using different soil, different nutrients, different seeds :nono:
Thanks so much !

So 2 big things I will say I have seen looks of mixed results with those seed breeders/seedbanks and there for yields very widely so get something that's easy and isn't necessarily fast wat I mean is look for 75day strains roughly dinafem is great rocbud seems great but pm me and I can set u up if you want also if you want a larger plant consider upping temps and directly into final pot. Lmk if you need nething.
Man, Fitzy, I really want and need guidance on strains and seed vendors. So I would love to talk more with you about that. I've never used the PM in here and I don't know how to do it.

Man, Fitzy, I really want and need guidance on strains and seed vendors. So I would love to talk more with you about that. I've never used the PM in here and I don't know how to do it.
Click on his name then a list will come up. Start conversation

@JaPinkman In your form you said 70°F to 90°F - 50°F is too cold. It will stop the plants growing.

9 hours of direct sun light might be enough but most likely a bit short. Look at this interactive DLI map Ideally you want 32 - 42 DLI.

Back