300w MarsHydro 5w Diode's

nudger361976

Check out my 2017 new multi strain grow
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just checked the underside of my LED, I have found 3 blacked out diodes, 1 totally melted. Really as scared me to death as I grow in a wooden shed! I run the light under 17 hours per day if that, started 12/12 about a week ago.

Be careful people, that was a massive wake up call! and very glad I checked before sticking more electric through it!

Hi All,

Just checked the underside of my LED, I have found 3 blacked out diodes, 1 totally melted. Really as scared me to death as I grow in a wooden shed! I run the light under 17 hours per day if that, started 12/12 about a week ago.

Be careful people, that was a massive wake up call! and very glad I checked before sticking more electric through it!

Nudger, I actually had a similar incident with my Mars Hydro II 1600W 5W unit. I messaged @MarshydroTina about it and she explained (didn't beat around the bush or hide anything) that they found out they had a bad production run or something to that effect on certain diodes (I've tagged her so she can explain,) and that it was indeed a known issue. In my case, she asked if I was comfortable soldering (and I am,) so they actually send me an envelope in the mail with replacement parts to try to fix it myself. If that didn't work, they were going to send me a postage label to have it fixed at one of their repair centers.

I have to admit, I was actually very concerned by the visual site of what it looked like. The little lens just literally POPPED. This was about 5 months of continual 24/0 use. I've still been using that beast though (haven't had time to repair it yet, it's just always in use lol!) But it's working just fine and I honestly haven't noticed much further problems with any other diodes. I was disappointed I had problems within the first 6 months of the light, but I have to say they were willing to take care of it and I can't fault their customer service at least (that was just my experience though.)

Tina would have to explain the rest of the details of the what and why, but hopefully once she's done that at least anyone reading this can make an informed decision based on that info and these personal experiences :cheers:

Thanks SoH for the tag, and sorry Nudger for the bad experience from the light. from what you explained, I believe it is also the light lens problem. You can send the picture and order info to solutions@mars-hydro.com we will help you dealt with it accordingly. Don't worry, this won't burn your light, and if remove the lens. you will see the leds are still working fine. :smiley1:

Thanks for the info @Son of Hobbes, yes it probably looks worse than it actually is, 2 of them look they just went black but the 1 looks like it was proper melting, imagine if it caught fire, could it? I dont know, but still a little worrying in a wooden shed lol I am not really having a dig at MarsHydro, however I am a bit cheesed if I am honest but it was more about raising awareness on how easy it is to just let your LED run without checking it. I will always check mine at least once a week from now on, I did read on another forum the issue with a previous supplier of diodes where Mars had problems. I purchased it around Christmas time I think. So is it still ok to use for the time being please? I have now got no light in my tent and months of effort working with photoperiods could potentially go down the pan. Out of curiosity how long should one of these last for, real estimation, I know they say 50,0000 hours but surely they dont last that long, I also have a MarsHydro 105 or 90 true watts UFO where only 40% of the diodes work, prob had that for 18 months, that was never run over 12 hours per day. I am a bit reluctant to purchase more MarsHydro LEDS even though it probably could have happened to any brand. Might just go for HPS, struggling to see the benefits of these panels over HPS now.

Is Tina going to say anything on the matter please? Can it still be used please?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @Son of Hobbes, yes it probably looks worse than it actually is, 2 of them look they just went black but the 1 looks like it was proper melting, imagine if it caught fire, could it? I dont know, but still a little worrying in a wooden shed lol I am not really having a dig at MarsHydro, however I am a bit cheesed if I am honest but it was more about raising awareness on how easy it is to just let your LED run without checking it. I will always check mine at least once a week from now on, I did read on another forum the issue with a previous supplier of diodes where Mars had problems. I purchased it around Christmas time I think. So is it still ok to use for the time being please? I have now got no light in my tent and months of effort working with photoperiods could potentially go down the pan. Out of curiosity how long should one of these last for, real estimation, I know they say 50,0000 hours but surely they dont last that long, I also have a MarsHydro 105 or 90 true watts UFO where only 40% of the diodes work, prob had that for 18 months, that was never run over 12 hours per day. I am a bit reluctant to purchase more MarsHydro LEDS even though it probably could have happened to any brand. Might just go for HPS, struggling to see the benefits of these panels over HPS now.

Is Tina going to say anything on the matter please? Can it still be used please?
Hello Nudger, have you sent the email to our colleague? We have improved the lens, so if you need to replace the leds, the replacement parts will be higher quality, last longer. ;) Also, please don't worry about causing fire, we did the test on our leds, power cords, wires on more than 200C degree, no fire will be caught. :pighug:

Can I still use the panel, or am I tempting a fire? @MarshydroTina please? I have my plants outside, totally risking my freedom! lol

What can I do about get this sorted please @MarshydroTina ? You have liked all the comments but offered no advice. Please can you advise? I think you should make some kind of comment at least. Shall I quote you the numbers on the LED back plate? will Mars send me some replacement diodes? can I send it off to be fixed? Would really appreciate some idea on what to do please? not really that impressed with the customer service at the moment. Sorry if I sound abrupt but what can I do to get this sorted please?

Last edited:
I really cant see your replies @MarshydroTina, hence the abrupt replies. how weird that is. Really sorry, must be a gtechnical glitch. Please can you try sending me a PM, sorry about this.

Last edited:
Back