Sick Sour Diesel, please help

2 observations:

- a quick look at Sungro Sunshine Mix shows they amend with dolomite Lime AND Silica, and you are regularly adding BOTH So adding cal mag may have created a lockout of K From too much Mg.

- I also understand the thought of being underfed, based on this simple application and your low ppm feedings
-
  • Read Spear has a simple dianosis: Spotted leaves and no pests or pathogens, plant is either over fed of PH too low. If it has chlorotic leaves ( yellow ) at the top of the plant/branches, its a micro nutrient deficiency or lockout. If it's chlorotic at the bottom and progressing upward, it's N and possibly P or K ( usually N ).

Im not an expert at all. I just look for common problems.

View attachment 1400083

I'm thinking this rite here is the problem! So i took another grow bag i have drying out from a previous grow and flushed it will normal tap water got rid of all nutes then flushed again and measure run off, the tap was 6.33 and runoff was 5.87, which means the PH of the medium is waaay too low. Upon further investigate it seems this is a long standing issue with the Sunshine Mix #4 i'm using, apparently the included dolomite lime wanes out after about 5-6 weeks which is exactly what has happened to me since growing in this media, i.e. yellowing at early flower.

I went ahead and ordered some dolomite lime online but that will reach whenever it does, and for now the plant has stopped the yellowing. From what i read though thats more of a soil amendment when preparing before growing for slow release for the lifetime of the plant.
Is there anything that can be added in the short term to save the plant given its now beginning week 7?
I'm thinking to measure the PH of plain tap water runoff then PH the feeding/waterings to compensate for however large/small the medium swing is to bring it within the 6.3-6.4 range. Does that sound like it can work at least until my next grow where i will totally lay off the cal-mag and use the added dolomite lime.

Sounds like a plan, but let’s bounce this off of a ph guy @pop22. He is the one who has guided me, and NOTHING goes into my pots that isn’t 6.4-6.5. I believe that you have a correct plan, just want to see if it should be incremental or full adjustment. Ph swings present problems by Itself. Respect on going to dry pot to test.

Use regular garden lime, not dolomite if your adding any other source of Magnesium., Dolomite is 60-65% Mg, and is not as effective at ph neutralization. Using too much Mg or too much Ca are often the main cause of nutrient lockout.

I'm thinking this rite here is the problem! So i took another grow bag i have drying out from a previous grow and flushed it will normal tap water got rid of all nutes then flushed again and measure run off, the tap was 6.33 and runoff was 5.87, which means the PH of the medium is waaay too low. Upon further investigate it seems this is a long standing issue with the Sunshine Mix #4 i'm using, apparently the included dolomite lime wanes out after about 5-6 weeks which is exactly what has happened to me since growing in this media, i.e. yellowing at early flower.

I went ahead and ordered some dolomite lime online but that will reach whenever it does, and for now the plant has stopped the yellowing. From what i read though thats more of a soil amendment when preparing before growing for slow release for the lifetime of the plant.
Is there anything that can be added in the short term to save the plant given its now beginning week 7?
I'm thinking to measure the PH of plain tap water runoff then PH the feeding/waterings to compensate for however large/small the medium swing is to bring it within the 6.3-6.4 range. Does that sound like it can work at least until my next grow where i will totally lay off the cal-mag and use the added dolomite lime.

Use regular garden lime, not dolomite if your adding any other source of Magnesium., Dolomite is 60-65% Mg, and is not as effective at ph neutralization. Using too much Mg or too much Ca are often the main cause of nutrient lockout.

is this to amend the soil from start or to fix the current plant or both? I thought dolomite was the one to balance over long term, i.e. life of plant, whereas the garden lime is to be added as-is when needed to push the PH up?
Other than the Mg included in FF Trio i will not longer be using the cal-mag powder and bloom city cal-mag liquid.

damn Amazon already shipped the order, those kinda supplies hard to get locally. Should i still get the garden lime, this is calcitic lime correct?

people are under the misconception that dolomite is to balance PH in soil. No, standard gaeden lime will. Yes, because it does have Ca in it, it will help mitigate PH issues, but then may lead to nutrient lockout issues unless used sparingly. I just avoid it and use some Epson salts for my Mg needs

is this to amend the soil from start or to fix the current plant or both? I thought dolomite was the one to balance over long term, i.e. life of plant, whereas the garden lime is to be added as-is when needed to push the PH up?
Other than the Mg included in FF Trio i will not longer be using the cal-mag powder and bloom city cal-mag liquid.

Potassium Carbonate also works to raise PH and adds no Ca or Mg

i checked my local agro shops an they were like wtf is dolomite lime, much less ptassium carbonate or garden lime lol so i'm stuck with waiting on Amazon stuff :(.
Is there anything easily available that can be added at this late stage that can still help or just ph the water to compensate for the swing you think?

All that being said the problem has indeed been rectified by the flush in my other 3 week old plant which is unseen in the photos but rite next to this plant. Finally its all green and healthy looking, no more added cal-mag for this baby in the future.
hopefully i get the dolomite lime soon as i run a kinda perpetual harvest by growing a new plant at the beginning of every month. that one will be the true test so see if i can dial this all in correct! :smoking:

Back