Photoperiod Pot size for photos

Reaction score
Morning all.
I'd like to ask about pot sizes for photos.
The last photos I did, I went from 1 liter, to 5 liters, to 20 liters, the to 40.
With photos, could I just sprout the seeds in 1 liter, then pot up to 5, then final 25lt.
Or could I just use a 20lt pot, would that be big enough for a photo, that's been topped.
Sorry for the long winded questions.

Morning all.
I'd like to ask about pot sizes for photos.
The last photos I did, I went from 1 liter, to 5 liters, to 20 liters, the to 40.
With photos, could I just sprout the seeds in 1 liter, then pot up to 5, then final 25lt.
Or could I just use a 20lt pot, would that be big enough for a photo, that's been topped.
Sorry for the long winded questions.
For a photo, you want to repot. I believe it promotes root growth. I have a photo in my 4x4… it’s the only plant. It is in a 1/2 of a 55 gal plastic drum holding 30-35 gallons of soil. Big roots = big buds.

Hi Jpkindbud
That's what I figured.
I'm thinking, I'll start one off in a 1 liter pot, then to a 5 liter, then straight to ground.
See how she goes from there.

I see no reason to start in anything other than the final container, unless you are pheno hunting.

My last photo was in a 5 gallon oxy pot. At the peak of flowering, it was drinking half a gallon twice a day. At harvest it was impossible to stick a finger anywhere into the soil, it had become a rootbound mass. The plant was wall to wall in a 3x3, and yielded over 10 oz

My next photo is going in a bigger container so hopefully I won't have to water it as often. I will probably use something closer to 20 gallons.

Could they be started off in the ground, like a flower bed, the same as if they were in the wild?

Could they be started off in the ground, like a flower bed, the same as if they were in the wild?
Yes, but you have no control other than fertigation at that point. I would up pot. If I were going to ground I’d want a well established photo before planting in ground.

I understand
So pot 2, possibly 3 times then into the ground.
It's all autos I ever did, simple, and nice and easy, for me at least.
I was gifted these photo seeds. I don't really want to be running large containers for them,

I understand
So pot 2, possibly 3 times then into the ground.
It's all autos I ever did, simple, and nice and easy, for me at least.
I was gifted these photo seeds. I don't really want to be running large containers for them,
If the climate is right, in ground is better. And when temps turn south it provides insulation a pot can’t. Yeah, large pots are heavy! Best to go no-till all organic grow bed in a tent and never have to move soil again.

Auto's grow in 5 gal. pots and photos in 7 to 10 gal. pots. Plastic or fabric, soil or coco. I use no small pots. I pop seeds and they go into clear solo cups buried in there permanent pots. At two weeks,,, no more than 3 weeks they go straight into there permanent grow pots. Clear solo cups allow me to check on root growth. I only transplant one time. I never start plants outside and bring them inside. And once a plant goes outside it NEVER comes back inside. Crossing those lines is like playing Russian Roulette. One day the pistol will go off and it will be fatal.

This is Alaskan Thunder F*** at two weeks old from sprout on transplant day in 7 gal. pots.

Pre transplant still under there HLG 100 V2 seedling, early veg light. Still in there buried clear solo cups.
current lighting.jpg

Being transplanted.
transplant.jpg

Transplanted and setting up PPFD for the HLG 350R. Ended up at 325 PPFD.
ppfd.jpg

12 hours after transplant with no shock, wilting. Just a tad of light stress. I run all seedling be them auto's or photos under 24/7 lighting until I transplant. I hit them hard and force them to get on with the show. They tell me when they have had enough and it's time for transplant and a new light cycle be it 18/6 for photos or 20/4 for autos. Helmet heads to transplant in 14 days.
14 days.jpg

I see no reason to start in anything other than the final container, unless you are pheno hunting.

My last photo was in a 5 gallon oxy pot. At the peak of flowering, it was drinking half a gallon twice a day. At harvest it was impossible to stick a finger anywhere into the soil, it had become a rootbound mass. The plant was wall to wall in a 3x3, and yielded over 10 oz

My next photo is going in a bigger container so hopefully I won't have to water it as often. I will probably use something closer to 20 gallons.
Thats exactly how mine is going, completely rootbound in a 5gal almost wall to wall in a 3x3. I trimmed her up quite a bit trying to keep her small but the roots kept building. Its one solid cube now and I still have 1.5 months of flower left at least. And its been a solid cube for about a month...oh well its still ok.

Back