Musty flavored smoke and oil

SHRED

"Onward through the fog!" - Oat Willie
Reaction score
I grew 3 Ethos Pluto Cut autos.

I made infused oil and smoked a little from one of the plants. It has a "musty" flavor in both the smoke and the oil. It had a shorter fatter pheno type presentation during the grow than the others

I've smoked the other plants and they don't taste like this.

Here's the thing though, I've examined some of the flowers with a jeweler's loupe and cannot see any signs of mold. None.

What do you think is going on?

Reactions: JP1
Growing differently than its stable mates and tasting differently is certainly not unheard of. As for a musty smell I don't know what to say, fully inspect each bud as you start the drying process, you may find that after they cure the smell and flavor changes.

Growing differently than its stable mates and tasting differently is certainly not unheard of. As for a musty smell I don't know what to say, fully inspect each bud as you start the drying process, you may find that after they cure the smell and flavor changes.
I didn't notice any issue until after I dried them.
I'm wondering if I could still see any mold or signs it was there after drying?

I didn't notice any issue until after I dried them.
I'm wondering if I could still see any mold or signs it was there after drying?
I have this problem too, I don't think I dried it properly enough and it smells musty, the buds look dark. Don't get me high.
Waste of time.

• Wow
Reactions: JP1
Could be that you put them in storage before they where really dry enough. Did you burp your jars?

Could be that you put them in storage before they where really dry enough. Did you burp your jars?
Yes I have been burping for sure.

The jars are holding pretty steady at 60-63% rH since I dried and put them in the jars.

I just inspected the remaining nugs with both a jeweler's loupe and a microscope and I can't find any evidence of a problem. I broke open the nugs to inspect down to the stem.

2022_09_05_15_25_59_811.jpg
2022_09_05_15_27_00_698.jpg
2022_09_05_15_28_47_123.jpg

Nice pictures :thumbsup: Could just be the strain. To me, kush plants smell like flea markets and grandparents. That's musty to me, so I'll usually stay away from growing most things that are kush :shrug:

Back