Grow Room Is VPD even Practical?

Badfinger

High as a Kite
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
In my situation my tent temps are on average 79-81°, leaving me just humidity to control. Which according to all the VPD charts I've seen, recommends I keep humidity up into the danger zone of bud rot and other nasty issues. If I was hell bent on following a VPD chart, my humidity would never be below 65%, and thats late flower. So whats the secret to achieving the proper VPD?

I wouldn't stress too terribly much if you can't control the temps. I mean Man O Green and FrankTheDank both grow in hot, low humidity desert environments.

What sort of room do you have your tent in? I think the only way you could really control it well is to have the tent in a room with lower temps and low humidity so you could have in tent humidifier and heater. I'm lucky enough to have mine in a cool, dry basement. Or you could put a stand alone AC unit near the tent and pull in cooler air.

I think you are correct on the humidity being a bigger risk than anything.

I wouldn't stress too terribly much if you can't control the temps. I mean Man O Green and FrankTheDank both grow in hot, low humidity desert environments.

What sort of room do you have your tent in? I think the only way you could really control it well is to have the tent in a room with lower temps and low humidity so you could have in tent humidifier and heater. I'm lucky enough to have mine in a cool, dry basement. Or you could put a stand alone AC unit near the tent and pull in cooler air.

I think you are correct on the humidity being a bigger risk than anything.
My tents in a spare bedroom, with cental air in the summer. In hindsight, I should have used the thread Header as is VPD even practical.
I just got an Ac Infinity Pro69 controller a couple weeks ago, and I have been tinkering with settings. And so far, I am finding I would have to keep my humidity at 70% to hang in the 1.0 kPa area. Which I'm sure most would agree, would be dancing with the devil.

High humidity combined with insufficient exposure to moving air (internal tent circulation) is generally what causes bud rot. With sufficient air movement, higher humidity (unless extreme) shouldn't be a problem. Healthy constant air movement (which you should to some extent have already), such as a light breeze enough to 'jiggle' the more exposed leaves, should keep the surface of buds dry enough to prevent accumulation of excess surface and internal moisture. And keeping the bottom portion of the plant open to air access will also help.

I also presume a constant breeze, a constantly running fan, would be better vs. an oscillating fan (or could have both).

High humidity combined with insufficient exposure to moving air (internal tent circulation) is generally what causes bud rot. With sufficient air movement, higher humidity (unless extreme) shouldn't be a problem. Healthy constant air movement (which you should to some extent have already), such as a light breeze enough to 'jiggle' the more exposed leaves, should keep the surface of buds dry enough to prevent accumulation of excess surface and internal moisture. And keeping the bottom portion of the plant open to air access will also help.

I also presume a constant breeze, a constantly running fan, would be better vs. an oscillating fan (or could have both).
I always run two 6" oscillating fans at opposite corners in my tent. Only but rot I ever experienced was with outside grows. But then, I never ran my RH inside as high as it gets outside in the summer here.

Back