Harvest & Curing Grove Bag size??

SHRED

"Onward through the fog!" - Oat Willie
Reaction score
Is the ounce rating on these bags what they can hold in buds and still maintain the proper headspace?
Or, should I put like 3 ozs in a 4 oz bag?

Can the bag be too big? For instance can 2 ounces be put in a 4 oz rated bag?

When should they be heat sealed? It's it mandatory for longer term storage?

A 1 oz bag holds 1 oz, a 4 oz bag holds 4 oz. You can squeeze air out of the bag if you want less air in it. I heat seal the bags if I plan on keeping them around a while, but make sure humidify is stable first at an acceptable level.

A 1 oz bag holds 1 oz, a 4 oz bag holds 4 oz. You can squeeze air out of the bag if you want less air in it. I heat seal the bags if I plan on keeping them around a while, but make sure humidify is stable first at an acceptable level.
I currently have them in jars and they are holding steady 11 days from being put in the jars at 52 to 61%. Mostly around 55%.

Is the ounce rating on these bags what they can hold in buds and still maintain the proper headspace?
Or, should I put like 3 ozs in a 4 oz bag?

Can the bag be too big? For instance can 2 ounces be put in a 4 oz rated bag?

When should they be heat sealed? It's it mandatory for longer term storage?
You can put less in a bag but not more than fits with a good head space. I heat seal only when I know the moisture content is correct. The zip locks work fine for short term storage. I have such a supply built up I may not open a new strain for months so I heat seal. If you are careful to heat seal as close to the top as you can then cut as close to that as you can you can re-seal up to 4 times. Then On my 4 oz bags I just cut off the zip and seal again and again until the bag is no longer a useful size.

You can put less in a bag but not more than fits with a good head space. I heat seal only when I know the moisture content is correct. The zip locks work fine for short term storage. I have such a supply built up I may not open a new strain for months so I heat seal. If you are careful to heat seal as close to the top as you can then cut as close to that as you can you can re-seal up to 4 times. Then On my 4 oz bags I just cut off the zip and seal again and again until the bag is no longer a useful size.
What do you use to heat seal?

ScreenHunter_312 Dec. 29 13.53.jpg

I'm reading others who say these these bags end up drying their buds out too much.
Have you noticed a drop in humidity?

I saw a thread with a Grove Bags rep response, said the bags will hold up to the listed amount but it’s recommended to leave about 25% of head space for off gassing. So I try to fill the bags 3/4 to capacity at most before heat sealing.

I use my wife’s old hair straightener to seal…fold a piece of parchment paper over the edge of the Grove Bag. A quick pass with the hair straightener seals the deal…very quick second pass to ensure a full seal.

I did notice a drop in RH, especially since the storage environment I have them in is dry relative to the target RH for the bag. My first two harvests I got them to 60% on a hygrometer in the bag before heat sealing…after cure they were more dry than i’d like. My third harvest I sealed when they got to 62% and still the RH dropped over time…one bag I kept a hygrometer in an it was low 50% by the time I opened. I’ve come to the conclusion the bags “off-gas” as they claim, so this time i’m going to seal with the buds even a little more moisture and see if they’re better when opened in a few months…praying I didn’t just sacrifice my work LOL!

I'm reading others who say these these bags end up drying their buds out too much.
Have you noticed a drop in humidity?
No.

Back