Go big or go home!

LandShark

Auto Warrior
Reaction score
Well folks, it's time! I'm going to start a 66 qt mono tub. I've already got my spores and I'm going to place an order with Midwest for spawn bags and casing. MW recommended (4) spawn bags, each bag is 2.25 to 2.5 pounds so 10 lbs and (4) 5 lb bags of substrate so 20 lbs.

Does that sound about right? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

p.s I'll update this thread as I progress with the grow

That's enough spawn and substrate for 2-3 x 66 Qt monotubs. They look a little on the pricey end at $8/pound, I've used booming acres with good success, 5 bags of 5lb millet for $60 here. Ends up around $4/pound with shipping, or buying just one 5 lb bag ends up about $5 a pound after shipping. They don't have rye if you were looking for that specifically, do have corn and oats though.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard of booming acres yet, thanks. I guess I'm gonna have to shop around and compare quality and price.

Pastywhyte’s Ez dialed monotubs Well, I did this over the weekend. I stumbled upon the thread at the shroomery, this design gets very good reviews from those who tried it. It's a 66 qt Sterlite tote from Wal-Mart, less than $10. I used the tape incase I mis-marked the location of the holes and also to minimize the drill bit from walking around.

Attachments

• bin1.jpg
    bin1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • bin2.jpg
    bin2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Back